Autosaves

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
micidre

Autosaves

Post by micidre »

One reason that I find it difficult to play Morrowind is the lack of an autosave function on waiting, sleep, and entering a transitions, like newer games.

I dont know whether or not this has been asked or requested, but I havent seen it on the forum.

Thanks in advanced for responses. :)
Frik

Re: Autosaves

Post by Frik »

An option toggle for Autosave when waiting or resting is available on the Options Menu under the Prefs tab,.

http://openmw.readthedocs.io/en/master/ ... l#autosave
akortunov

Post by akortunov »

when waiting or resting
Only when resting.
Frik

Post by Frik »

I never realized there was a difference. When I hit "T" on my keyboard, it always says "Rest" or "It's illegals to rest here, find a bed". How do I simply "wait" without resting?
micidre

Post by micidre »

Lol. I didnt even realise at first xD
Thanks
akortunov

Post by akortunov »

How do I simply "wait" without resting?
"It's illegals to rest here, find a bed". In this case there is no autosave.
Frik

Post by Frik »

So, you're confirming there really is no "wait" command, as in Oblivion. The only waiting in ES3 is standing around twiddling your thumbs (assuming you have thumbs :mrgreen: ), right? Rest & sleep are functionally the same, just in some instances, you cannot do either.

I seem to remember, at some point in the release cycle, a wait dialog would appear in OpenMW. Then again, my memory ain't what it used to be. :|
Chris

Post by Chris »

Frik wrote: 05 Aug 2017, 19:53 So, you're confirming there really is no "wait" command, as in Oblivion.
There is, it only comes up when you can't rest. If you try to rest in a town, for example, you'll be told it's illegal to rest there, and the Rest option will change to "Wait" (which is like sleep, but doesn't restore any stats or apparently do autosaves; it just passes time).

Kinda preferred how Daggerfall did it, honestly. You always had a choice to wait ("Loiter"), but could only do so for up to 3 hours at a time to discourage doing it for long in-game periods, and encourage using an Inn instead. You also always had a choice to sleep but if you tried to sleep in a town/city, or a building that you didn't own a bed in, you'd get guards sent after you for vagrancy.
Frik

Post by Frik »

You know, I think I might be losing it and dementia is starting to set in. :?

How did I not see the wait dialog until you mentioned it was there? :roll: :geek:

Thanks for clearing that up. I'm off to find some Donepezil. :mrgreen:
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

That's definitely a bug; the instruction manual says that the auto-save should happen during both Rest and Wait. I just tested this and it's confirmed, however Scrawl closed the bug report filed regarding this 3 years ago because his translation's instructions differ from the English ones, apparently.

Here's the page from the GOTY edition manual regarding auto-save:
Spoiler: Show
Here's the bug's Issue page on the Tracker: https://bugs.openmw.org/issues/1452