OpenMW 0.42.0

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
Atahualpa

Re: OpenMW 0.42.0

Post by Atahualpa »

scrawl wrote: 14 Jul 2017, 12:34 Light sources were displayed all along. I think the right word is particles.
Check.
scrawl wrote: 14 Jul 2017, 12:34
Alchemy window item shadows bug
Not sure if significant enough to show on video.
Hey, don't destroy my Hitchhiker's Guide references!^^
scrawl wrote: 14 Jul 2017, 12:34 More correct: the limitation is with the fixed function rendering pipeline. However, since no one will know what that is maybe we can just leave out that line.
Check.
scrawl wrote: 14 Jul 2017, 12:34
Magic projectile light sources
Not that visible on video. I think you chose a bad location because the vivec buildings have large triangles that make it hard to see small light sources with per-vertex lighting. At a different location (maybe some flat terrain), or if you turn on shaders and per-pixel lighting in the settings file, the effect should be much more visible.
Yeah, my first thought was: "Let's try some really big surfaces!". When the Vivec canton buildings themselves gave bad results, I switched to the stairs leading to Vivec's temple which, again, turned out really bad. So I used the temple door. Some kind of pilgrimage I guess... Or the start of a holy war.
scrawl wrote: 14 Jul 2017, 12:34 When you showed the distant terrain, you made a point of rendering this and this many cells by increasing the view distance to such and such. However, the feature doesn't actually work with cells, it loads everything all the time; and reducing the view distance will do little if anything to improve FPS (since the more distant pages are 'low res' anyway). Either way; the visualization of 'NxN' cells of 'distant terrain' in view isn't quite correct, if anything, it would be more of a circular arrangement of various-sized pages.

Also, from the video I think we get the impression that all the feature does is just render the X cells of terrain like normal, while not rendering creatures/npcs etc., but it's actually more sophisticated than that, maybe you could show a wireframe shot (twf) to show the LOD in action and/or a flyby at high speed that shows the LODs changing.

If anyone still remembers the 'distant terrain' from Ogre3D versions (last seen in OpenMW 0.36), it's worth mentioning that the new implementation is much improved (looks better, [pre]loads faster, lower memory usage, no more glitches).
To be honest, I couldn't find an in-depth documentation of that feature (okay, I only did a quick forum search several months ago :roll:). I used the reference to cells as a measurement to compare my test setups.

So the feature calculates a low-res version of the whole terrain (when you load the game?) but uses the viewing distance setting to restrict the actual rendering to a certain distance? And what exactly do you mean by more sophisticated?

I'll add a comment about Ogre3D vs OSG distant terrain.

@raevol: Don't worry. The editor video isn't ready yet and there is some more stuff left to do (e.g., subtitles and translation work). Anyway, do you have a recent version of your release notes for final proof-reading?
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

To be honest, I couldn't find an in-depth documentation of that feature (okay, I only did a quick forum search several months ago :roll:).
I guess the comment in the settings file sums it up:
# If true, use paging and LOD algorithms to display the entire terrain. If false, only display terrain of the loaded cells
Anything that isn't stated should be taken as "it does it with magic" ;)
So the feature calculates a low-res version of the whole terrain (when you load the game?)
Not really; there would be many different resolution versions of different terrain regions, too many to load them all in advance. It's all loaded and unloaded on the fly and in the background based on where the player is and where he's going.
but uses the viewing distance setting to restrict the actual rendering to a certain distance?
Kind of, but not specifically. That's just done by the renderer in the same way that it would cull/clip normal objects. So the too distant terrain regions are still loaded in, but then culled instead of rendered.
raevol

Post by raevol »

Atahualpa wrote: 14 Jul 2017, 22:23@raevol: Don't worry. The editor video isn't ready yet and there is some more stuff left to do (e.g., subtitles and translation work). Anyway, do you have a recent version of your release notes for final proof-reading?
I'll DM you.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

In the release announcement we should talk a little bit about why this release has been so long in the making. To quiet the heretics. :twisted:
raevol

Post by raevol »

Greendogo wrote: 18 Jul 2017, 06:11To quiet the heretics.
This guy's got jokes. You coming to con this year dude?
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

DestinedToDie wrote: 13 Jul 2017, 14:42 You can say that in the closed alpha version NPC sync is now fully functional and almost all quests are working, we can expect these new additions as well as many quality of life features to be released to the public hopefully in the near future so stay tuned for the big release!

Edit: Turns out David doesn't want me to say this because he considers not almost all quests doable even tho you can technically do them. So just say that tes3mp has been making great progress and we might see playable multiplayer soon.
@DestinedToDie: I just read your edited post. While I'm fine with skipping the "all quests are working" part, I'd like to say more than "there is great progress". Maybe a short comment about NPC synchronisation and faction/journal/topic/plugin sync?
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

On a side note, tes3mp, a fork of OpenMW focused on introducing multiplayer capability has been making great progress. While these things are still in closed alpha testing right now, a working implementation of NPC and creature synchronization has already been achieved. In addition to this, players are able to go questing together thanks to their factions and journals being synced. And as if that wasn't good news already, plugins are also synced and testing shows no problem playing even the most complex mods such as Tamriel Rebuilt, so long as the mods themselves are compatible with the main OpenMW fork. Stay tuned for a tes3mp release possibly in the near future!
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

DestinedToDie wrote: 18 Jul 2017, 12:55factions and journals being synced.
Small tweak but nuanced:
factions and journals being shared and synced.
The two are indeed shared between each other, and one one player modifies the shared state then it is synced to the other clients.

How does the mod system work on tes3mp? Does the other players need the exact same copy of the mods? Are there any CRC/SHA checksums to make sure everyone is running the same stuff? Or is one player the master (DM/GM) and the clients copies the mods down from the master?
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

People repeatedly have questions like this, which is why I plan to rewrite my newspost on it towards explaining all the new stuff 1 by 1. In the case of mods, the server browser looks like this. http://i.imgur.com/pWrMYDS.jpg

When an admin makes a server, he can designate which mods are required to join it. He may leave them under (any), in which case no hashes are checked, or he could demand specific hash, in which case you need that exact .esp file to join the server, an .esp file with the same name but different hash will not do. Players are left to download the .esps themselves, or an admin could get permission to share mods and bundle all of the mods required for joining their server in 1 complete package. If you do not have the required mods and same order, you are simply blocked from joining.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Neat! :)