OpenMW 0.42.0

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
DestinedToDie

Re: OpenMW 0.42.0

Post by DestinedToDie »

I think we will have massive tes3mp news soon. The multiplayer fork has gotten farther than even I would've expected, teasing it a little might be an interesting idea.. Let me ask David.

Edit: He's good with the idea. It's also possible that tes3mp's next version might be released sometime soon, though no certainty on when.
Last edited by DestinedToDie on 13 Jul 2017, 08:48, edited 1 time in total.
Cramal

Post by Cramal »

For main goals, (ie stuff that have to be done before being able to call it 1.0), you can use the list of engine feature still open on the bug tracker.

Mainly :
Feature #824: Fading for doors and teleport commands
Feature #3537: Water ripple vfx
Feature #452: Rain-induced water ripples
Feature #1113: NPC door AI
Feature #1374: AI: Resurface to breathe
Feature #1645: Casting effects from objects
Feature #2229: Improve pathfinding AI
(the fog shader is not present as a feature request on the bug tracker but can possibly be added in the list)

Mostly AI stuffs, and some graphical eye-candy
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

psi29a wrote: 13 Jul 2017, 08:33 You could possibly drum up some good-will PR for the test3mp people by saying that there is an active multiplayer fork of openmw that can eventually be merged in post 1.0 and that interested testers and experimenters can talk about it on the openmw forums.

If this is put into the video, even if it isn't related to 0.42 it is a way to generate more buzz around OpenMW as a whole. :)

Maybe put in a good word about the Example-Suite to? :)
I'll add a multiplayer tease but leave the Example Suite for the next release, okay? Or are there any significant developments regarding the latter? (Been essentially absent for 3 months.)

@DestinedToDie: Anything special to talk about? Or shall I just make some general statements about the awesomeness of tes3mp?

Cramal wrote: 13 Jul 2017, 08:38 For main goals, (ie stuff that have to be done before being able to call it 1.0), you can use the list of engine feature still open on the bug tracker.

Mainly :
Feature #824: Fading for doors and teleport commands
Feature #3537: Water ripple vfx
Feature #452: Rain-induced water ripples
Feature #1113: NPC door AI
Feature #1374: AI: Resurface to breathe
Feature #1645: Casting effects from objects
Feature #2229: Improve pathfinding AI
(the fog shader is not present as a feature request on the bug tracker but can possibly be added in the list)

Mostly AI stuffs, and some graphical eye-candy
Let me see how this can be integrated into the video. :)
akortunov

Post by akortunov »

Cramal wrote: 13 Jul 2017, 08:38 For main goals, (ie stuff that have to be done before being able to call it 1.0), you can use the list of engine feature still open on the bug tracker.
Also do not forget about shadows, some unimpelemented NIF format features, and some combat AI related features that are not in roadmap yet (#3953 and #3948, for example).

Feature #1374: AI: Resurface to breathe - implemented, but untested yet (see PR#1053 and this topic)
Feature #1113: NPC door AI - implemented actually, but blocked by #3227. This bug can be partially fixed by PR#1324.

And yes, features left are mostly AI and rendering-related stuff.
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

You can say that in the closed alpha version NPC sync is now fully functional and almost all quests are working, we can expect these new additions as well as many quality of life features to be released to the public hopefully in the near future so stay tuned for the big release!

Edit: Turns out David doesn't want me to say this because he considers not almost all quests doable even tho you can technically do them. So just say that tes3mp has been making great progress and we might see playable multiplayer soon.
Last edited by DestinedToDie on 14 Jul 2017, 20:30, edited 2 times in total.
lysol

Post by lysol »

I've missed you so much Atahualpa. :) Great job, it feels so good to see this, the project just seems more alive again.
Frik

Post by Frik »

Thanks for the video, Atahualpa. Now I'm noticing all the nice feature updates in the new version. 8-)

Since I just compiled from GIT master, I suppose I have the new stuff slated for 0.43.0 too. :mrgreen:

https://postimg.org/image/62lsb0uh1/
raevol

Post by raevol »

@Atahualpa the video looks amazing, I can't imagine how many hours of work went into setting up all of those shots, and then getting them cut together, much less scripting and all of the rest of the video. Great work.

Guys I have bad news- starting Monday next week I am basically going to fall off the face of the earth until the week after. I have some meetings and events coming up, not the least of which is San Diego Comic Con, which I will be living and working at for more than the duration of the event. I doubt we will be able to rush 0.42 out the door this weekend, so please be patient with me, and week after next I am sure we will be ready to go.
Pherim

Post by Pherim »

Finally! Great video, as always. It's good to have you back!
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

light sources not displayed on the character preview
Light sources were displayed all along. I think the right word is particles.
Alchemy window item shadows bug
Not sure if significant enough to show on video.
Number of light sources a limitation of OpenSceneGraph
More correct: the limitation is with the fixed function rendering pipeline. However, since no one will know what that is maybe we can just leave out that line.
Magic projectile light sources
Not that visible on video. I think you chose a bad location because the vivec buildings have large triangles that make it hard to see small light sources with per-vertex lighting. At a different location (maybe some flat terrain), or if you turn on shaders and per-pixel lighting in the settings file, the effect should be much more visible.

When you showed the distant terrain, you made a point of rendering this and this many cells by increasing the view distance to such and such. However, the feature doesn't actually work with cells, it loads everything all the time; and reducing the view distance will do little if anything to improve FPS (since the more distant pages are 'low res' anyway). Either way; the visualization of 'NxN' cells of 'distant terrain' in view isn't quite correct, if anything, it would be more of a circular arrangement of various-sized pages.

Also, from the video I think we get the impression that all the feature does is just render the X cells of terrain like normal, while not rendering creatures/npcs etc., but it's actually more sophisticated than that, maybe you could show a wireframe shot (twf) to show the LOD in action and/or a flyby at high speed that shows the LODs changing.

If anyone still remembers the 'distant terrain' from Ogre3D versions (last seen in OpenMW 0.36), it's worth mentioning that the new implementation is much improved (looks better, [pre]loads faster, lower memory usage, no more glitches).