Is OpenMW dead?

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
weedfreak

Is OpenMW dead?

Post by weedfreak »

The days of a new release every month or two seem a long way away, in fact there has been no release for over 6 months. 0.42 was flagged for release 3 months ago and since then seems to have quietly died, no feedback from the release team or devs, very little work on the code, almost no testing.

I for one have given up waiting as it seems there will never be a version 1.0 let alone a 1.1 which I am waiting for to finish my new game. I am writing off the several hundred hours I spent creating stuff for a new game and some large mw mods. I am freeing up disc space by deleting openmw and mw and am moving onto a different project, which it seems most devs already have done.

I can guess what the fanboys will answer to this post and if you want to carry on praising a stagnant half written piece of software knock yourselves out, I have given up the unequal struggle, I have invested enough of my time and energy into parts that I could contribute to and now that progress has ground to a stop I see no future in it.
Biboran

Re: OpenMW is dead

Post by Biboran »

0.42 kinda relised, just not announced because they want video about which no one OMW player cares actually. (I mean, it good if it be, but not critical)

But there kinda problem, yes - when Zini and some other people left, development become much, much slower, Like... 95% of resolved bugs and new features in new version are very-very small stuff, all important bugs and important issues still not resolved for years, and look like not be. Dehardcoding or what they want to do that a lot people ask - only after mystical 1.0, shadows, more optimisation, AI and new features - looks like it not happen this year :(
Project not dead, and if it dead new guys no need start from zero, because this had open source, but it wery sad to see when so big and important project for many people around the world become so slow and and has no people to advance it. Like, I'am shure, 0.43 will be another blank relise with mostly nothing interesting and be as far from 1.0, as 0.42/0.41/0.40/0.39 - it just resolve some small issues and they there happen new small issues that will resolve 0.44 etc.
Last edited by Biboran on 05 Jul 2017, 10:53, edited 1 time in total.
lambda

Post by lambda »

The days of a new release every month or two seem a long way away, in fact there has been no release for over 6 months. 0.42 was flagged for release 3 months ago and since then seems to have quietly died, no feedback from the release team or devs, very little work on the code, almost no testing.
Going to the roadmap page https://bugs.openmw.org/projects/openmw/roadmap, the upcoming version 0.42 has 77 issues closed, the future 0.43 has 35. That hardly strikes me as "no feedback from the release team or devs, very little work on the code, almost no testing".
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

hahahahahahhhahaha.... great stuff.

You apparently haven't ever experienced the joy and frustration of waiting for the next version of DaggerXL.

You poor soul. :)

Did I miss something, why is anyone saying that Zini left? Zini and Scrawl are still here, they never left. :)

0.42 is ready for release, we're just waiting on videos.

0.43 already has quite a bit of work put into it already.

In all honesty, OpenMW (to me) is feature complete. We're just polishing. Can you not play from beginning to end now? On Windows, Linux and MacOS?
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

Progress has been painfully slow to me. But that's been the case from ever since I joined back when OpenMW was on 0.35 and we were all waiting for Scrawl's OSG convertion to be finished.

I agree that it's slow in some areas right now, but it's also faster in some other areas. We might be going snail-pace or nothing at all on stuff like shadows and OpenMW-CS, but bugs are being fixed and tremendous progress is being made in the multiplayer area.

I really wish things would get faster in terms of getting to 1.0 and OpenMW-CS. Like Psi29a said, the engine in terms of being able to play the game is essentially feature complete right now, so it's not all that bad. The worse situation could be one where OpenMW is not even released to the public and is in an unplayable early closed alpha state with no updates for years. That's when it would truly be a corpse in the grave.

Edit: Btw good luck on your next project. But you're welcome to return to OpenMW when sufficient progress has been made. :)
claudekennilol

Post by claudekennilol »

I've been watching this project for years--ever since it was first announced on bethesda's morrowind forum. That was a looong time ago. Sure, I'm disappointed when I open up the site every day and don't see an update, but I still open it up.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

I just graduated university less than a week ago, and am planning on putting a lot of time into OpenMW over the next few months. Right now I'm trying to figure the ins and outs of OpenSceneGraph so that I can work on that part of the engine, and hopefully end up doing something big like shadows.

Right now I'm at a bit of a hurdle where I'm trying to work through some OpenSceneGraph tutorials (including this one: http://trac.openscenegraph.org/projects ... icGeometry which a bunch of later ones just specify incremental changes to) but am getting the Windows equivalent of segfaults, even when I directly compile and run the worked example code linked at the bottom. If someone figures that out and determines if it's even something I should care about, that should give me something to do.
akortunov

Post by akortunov »

but am getting the Windows equivalent of segfaults
At least you can try to build your program in Debug configutration and try to determine which line causes a crash (via Visual Studio debugger, for example).
raevol

Post by raevol »

@weedfreak, while I feel like your post is pretty toxic and childish, I definitely understand where you're coming from. Part of why I have been fine kicking the 0.42 release down the road is because I feel like aside from distant land, which needs optimization and fixes anyway, there's really nothing to write home about in 0.42. In my view, enthusiast OpenMW'ers who need every bug fix and change should be using dailies, so there's no need to rush out a wildly unremarkable release.

It's been discussed (and ignored) before, but I really feel like we need a quick and easy "current status" indicator on our front page- something that right now would say "0.42 release stalled due to hardware issues on the release team, development on 0.43 slow due to lack of contributions."

Edit: If I made a "current status" forum thread, could I get it stickied? And then I can just edit and update the top post every few days/weeks.
raven

Post by raven »

raevol wrote: 07 Jul 2017, 07:35 @weedfreak, while I feel like your post is pretty toxic and childish, I definitely understand where you're coming from. Part of why I have been fine kicking the 0.42 release down the road is because I feel like aside from distant land, which needs optimization and fixes anyway, there's really nothing to write home about in 0.42. In my view, enthusiast OpenMW'ers who need every bug fix and change should be using dailies, so there's no need to rush out a wildly unremarkable release.

It's been discussed (and ignored) before, but I really feel like we need a quick and easy "current status" indicator on our front page- something that right now would say "0.42 release stalled due to hardware issues on the release team, development on 0.43 slow due to lack of contributions."

Edit: If I made a "current status" forum thread, could I get it stickied? And then I can just edit and update the top post every few days/weeks.
And here I thought that openmw had some notable performance and bug fixes since 0.41.

Are they really that unremarkable to not be release worthy?