Making Example Suite not require Morrowind to be installed

OpenMW's very own demo, template and game to show off everything that OpenMW is capable of.

Moderator: Example suite forum moderator

Thunderforge

Making Example Suite not require Morrowind to be installed

Post by Thunderforge »

As I understand, it needs Morrowind.ini, which comes with that game. Would it be very difficult to change it so that Example Suite can provide this file itself (or OpenMW can create it)? Are there other barriers that would need to be overcome to make OpenMW be able to run Example Suite without Morrowind?

I've seen other discussions about how we are wanting OpenMW to be seen as not just a Morrowind engine, but a standalone game engine (which will give it greater prominence in the Ubuntu repositories, among other things). I think one thing that would go a long way for this is to make it so that the user seems that they are given the option to install Example Suite when they start up OpenMW for the first time (addressed in this topic), but of course that would mean that they would have to be able to play the game without having Morrowind installed.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Re: Making Example Suite not require Morrowind to be installed

Post by psi29a »

Already working on a default we can use. :)

Give me a few days.
Ferk

Post by Ferk »

Has there been any progress into this ini file? and in general making the installation easier for custom games?

I decided to check out today the Example suite once again (I had tried about a year ago), but not even after importing the *.ini file from Morrowind was I able to load version 0.17.

It appears the wizard from the launcher expected me to provide a Morrowind master file (*.esm), but there's no such file in either the Example Suite nor the Template. There's an "openmw-template.omwgame" but this format is not understood by the wizard.

Imho, a good improvement would be for the Wizard to support importing omwgame files (and adding once and for all to the Example Suite the files from the Template game so that we don't need to add both).

Since I couldn't use the wizard I manually added the folders to openwrt.cfg

Code: Select all

data="F:\Games\OpenMW\openmw-template\data"
data="F:\Games\OpenMW\openmw-ExampleSuite\data"
content=Land.esp
content=openmw-template.omwgame
content=ExampleSuite.omwaddon
After having done that and trying to execute it, I got an error message saying "archive Morrowind.bsa not found".
I noticed there were some "fallback-archive" entries refering to Morrowind files such as Morrowind.bsa, probably loaded from the Morrowind.ini file. I removed all the "fallback-archive" lines.

After that, the game finally loaded. However immediatelly after the character creation screen I'm stuck floating in the sky above an ocean with Chopin background music. Did I miss something?

The console is also showing a lot of "Error adding NPC part: Can't find attachment node".
And a lot of errors similar to: "Warning: addAnimSource: can't find bone 'bio01 hand l' in meshes\xbase_anim.1st.nif "

EDIT: It seems to be the same issue as this: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4615&p=49603&hilit= ... art#p49603
I can see the world if I activate 3rd person mode, but the character is completely invisible. I guess the player model is not loaded? which also explains the bones being missing.
silentthief

Post by silentthief »

Ferk wrote: 21 May 2018, 14:29
The console is also showing a lot of "Error adding NPC part: Can't find attachment node".
And a lot of errors similar to: "Warning: addAnimSource: can't find bone 'bio01 hand l' in meshes\xbase_anim.1st.nif "

EDIT: It seems to be the same issue as this: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4615&p=49603&hilit= ... art#p49603
I can see the world if I activate 3rd person mode, but the character is completely invisible. I guess the player model is not loaded? which also explains the bones being missing.
Unless there has been progress on this that I don't know about - there is no replacement character model available yet. This is why references to bones missing and nothing shows in 3rd person (The game cannot load the character model, because there isn't one).

ST
Ferk

Post by Ferk »

A year ago, when I last tested the Example Suite, there was a makehuman model and this problem did not happen to me.
Has there been an update ever since that invalidated that test model?
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

The character model exists, as well as anim files. The fault is that I made them with a few flaws, which arose during later OpenMW versions. Currently making new character model and anim files, which will fix the 1st person issue once they get released. Right now you can go into 3rd person mode to move the camera to where your (invisible) character is and explore.