Any idea when 0.7 will be available:?:

A generic talk on the OpenMW project.
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Any idea when 0.7 will be available:?:

Post by lgromanowski »

pogzy wrote: A precise release date is not expected :lol: , but a rough idea of how much time we should wait untill the finished C++ port will be appreciated.

I am waiting this point to look at the sources.

sources:
Could you please, Nicolay, remove the svn repo on sourceforge if the code is not up to date on it. 2 wiki, 2 code base, 2 websites, it is quite confusing for anybody new to the project?

basic roadmap:
Can you tell us which are the man steps/stages expected to reach the v1.0 and what do you expect as v1.0?
Vance987 wrote: A Roadmap would be VERY helpful, as it gives the maker goals to achieve, encouragement to finish the project, and also gives people like us information of when and what the updates will be. :mrgreen:
tombofsoldier wrote: This is a free project guys, it will be available when it's done and the road map is "work on stuff when there's time"
pogzy wrote: @tombofsoldier: I worked on several free projects that do have a roadmap, a roadmap is only a desired/possible future path at a certain time, it is fully compatible with free projects. Look around, any big free project do have a roadmap.

Roadmap is not engraved in stone and can change as time is passing, but it is a very good tool to communicate how we'll see the near future, wich part of the project are important and will be coded first, which one are less important and will be coded later.

Moreover, the roadmap shoud not be constrained by any date, a roadmap that list versions to come with their wanted features without any date should be fine.
Broken1334 wrote: Repositories on sourceforge updated 2 months ago (2010-03-05). Is there any progress? :?
babauka wrote: Guys, if you open some system like Trac to see/follow/define roadmap, milestones, tickets, see activities, it could be really great!
Lordrea wrote: Once I get the big guy's okay on it, I'll install a tracking/roadmap system. Any suggestions out there on what system people prefer? I haven't done much research into them.
tombofsoldier wrote:
pogzy wrote:@tombofsoldier: I worked on several free projects that do have a roadmap, a roadmap is only a desired/possible future path at a certain time, it is fully compatible with free projects. Look around, any big free project do have a roadmap.

Roadmap is not engraved in stone and can change as time is passing, but it is a very good tool to communicate how we'll see the near future, wich part of the project are important and will be coded first, which one are less important and will be coded later.

Moreover, the roadmap shoud not be constrained by any date, a roadmap that list versions to come with their wanted features without any date should be fine.
Merely meant as a project with a structure based around people volunteering to do random things a roadmap is not the most useful of tools. But hey if it helps then that's great!

On a side note it might also quell the constant requests for updates. By all means Lordrea I would say please do so and provide a sticky thread/permanent link to it with the words "If you wish to see what current progress is being made refer to:..."
pogzy wrote: Any kind of tracking system can do the job, sourceforge provides one which is already available for the project, the one you choose should be online and easy to use and maintain.

The main point of the roadmap is the v1.0 step. It should be clear for the project leader which vision of the project he wants to share with us: players, modders and coders. A vision of the project and its key steps to come is needed to keep people incentive intact until we'll reach the v1.0.

The expected features list of the v1.0 will trace a line, even if it not completely clear now, between before and after alpha stages and the first stable version. Then we can focus together our efforts to reach this v1.0. Any project needs a shared vision between fellows that carry it, so that any newcomer can embrace this vision.