OpenMW 0.42.0

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
lysol

Re: OpenMW 0.42.0

Post by lysol »

weedfreak wrote: Delaying a release for a pointless video is nonsense, do people actually watch them? I never have, I read the changelog then I know all I need to.
Instead of being an ass, you could have spent two minutes going to youtube to see the amount of views and comments and what the comments actually say before saying that the hundreds of hours Atahualpa has spent on these videos was pointless.

Also, "I never have" is not a very reliable test sample to make the assumption that "people" don't watch them.
raevol

Post by raevol »

Don't worry guys, he's probably too high to post a sensible comment. Don't waste time trying to argue with him.

@Atahualpa your contributions to this project are invaluable, as you already know. Don't let this guy bother you.
Jyby

Post by Jyby »

weedfreak wrote:Delaying a release for a pointless video is nonsense, do people actually watch them? I never have, I read the changelog then I know all I need to.
OpenMW has been a hobby project for many people for many years. Please don't be disrespectful to the contributions of others.
MetaCthulhu

Post by MetaCthulhu »

Call me new fashioned, but I find changelogs to be really boring reading. I much prefer the videos, even if it does delay release a bit. I'm pretty sure the last video got somewhere around 32K views, so I think it's safe to say the videos are the main way people keep up with what goes on.
Jyby

Post by Jyby »

MetaCthulhu wrote:Call me new fashioned, but I find changelogs to be really boring reading. I much prefer the videos, even if it does delay release a bit. I'm pretty sure the last video got somewhere around 32K views, so I think it's safe to say the videos are the main way people keep up with what goes on.
Yeah I would like to see our releases contain more Morrowind lore stuff :P But I'm nerdy. Also Atahualpa does a good job at sprinkling Morrowind things in.

EDIT: Also, videos are easy to post and share, which makes outreach better. Perhaps we're getting off topic.
raevol

Post by raevol »

MetaCthulhu wrote:Call me new fashioned, but I find changelogs to be really boring reading. I much prefer the videos
I actually completely agree with you! But the changelog serves a purpose, it's not supposed to be entertaining, it's technical information for people who are looking for certain fixes/features in certain releases. I'm not offended if no one reads the changelogs, but that one time someone needs one of them, it'll be there.
Capostrophic

Post by Capostrophic »

I love to read changelogs.
Fizzol

Post by Fizzol »

Capostrophic wrote:I love to read changelogs.
Yep, especially for projects like OpenMW. Now if you're talking about something like Paradox's grand strategy games the size of their change logs can numb the brain.
raevol

Post by raevol »

Capostrophic wrote:I love to read changelogs.
<3 <3 <3

Why don't we have a heart emoji...
Pherim

Post by Pherim »

I like both... most of the time. Sometimes changelogs are too excessive (which can be a good thing, of course, because of how many changes there are), then I don't like completely reading through them. And sometimes videos are too slow in providing the information I am interested in... then I don't watch them entirely. I'm not talking about OpenMW changelogs and videos in particular, but in general. That being said, Atahualpa's videos are far from pointless and I always watch them. I also don't mind waiting for him to finish them to release the new version. Then again I don't really play the game at the moment, so it's not like I couldn't wait a few more days to update, try a few things, exit and wait for the next version... :roll: