Emma/Grumpy MW companions (Wolf, Beryl, Hurd)

Post about your mods, learn about OpenMW mod compatibility, check for problematic mods, discuss issues, and give us feedback about your experience with modded OpenMW.
MiroslavR

Re: Emma/Grumpy MW companions (Wolf, Beryl, Hurd)

Post by MiroslavR »

Loriel wrote: Attempting to verify the mod generates a lot of script errors, of the form "Unexpected special token" - apparently related to the underscore in the name "AA_Laurenna" (or similar) so it appears that over-strict name checking is still a probleml
Nope, that is not the case. The problem is that "aa_laurenna" NPC ID clashes with a journal ID of the same name. Apparently, there is an evil piece of code that, in this case, implicitely expands "aa_laurenna" into (GetJournalIndex "aa_laurenna"). The -> operator is therefore unexpected.

No idea why such thing was ever implemented -- git blame points to https://github.com/OpenMW/openmw/commit ... 0377bb2b2f.

@Zini: Can you explain?

For the record, here's the relevant part of the script:

Code: Select all

If ( "AA_Laurenna"->GetMysticism > ( Random 100 ) )
		Set intervention To -3
	endif
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Hello Emma, thank you so much for joining and posting! :D
Loriel

Post by Loriel »

Emma wrote:Well, here I am :).
It's great to see you here!

Now you just need to find time to install OpenMW, so you can get back to modding Morrowind, instead of Skyrim...

Loriel
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

Thanks MiroslavR, your PR was merged in: https://github.com/OpenMW/openmw/pull/1249

This should help. :)
Loriel

Post by Loriel »

psi29a wrote:Thanks MiroslavR, your PR was merged in: https://github.com/OpenMW/openmw/pull/1249

This should help. :)
Latest daily build removes all those script errors - many thanks :)

Various if/endif mismatch warnings remain - I think they can be ignored.

Remaining errors from the mod:
Numerous empty name / empty description, spread over class, race, spell, clothing, door (marker), light, miscellaneous, magic effects
Numerous "instance referencing non-existent object"
"Body part has no race" - 1em_dragon_e_GND

I don't know what effect these would have on gameplay - I hope it would be minor.

Loriel
Emma

Post by Emma »

Thank you for the warm welcome :)

The part with a journal name clashing with an ID for Laurenna sounds like a realistic reason for the problems, and I would guess something similar is happening with Laura Craft.

Yes, Loriel, I still have to install OpenMW, and as always, the first install of something new is the most intimidating part. I also should look at the old scripts and try to recapitulate it all. As for Morowind versus Skyrim, Morrowind has always been much closer to my heart than Skyrim. In fact, I never liked Skyrim much, and bringing Vilja there was very much in order to make it more friendly and more Oblivion-like.
Loriel

Post by Loriel »

Emma wrote:The part with a journal name clashing with an ID for Laurenna sounds like a realistic reason for the problems, and I would guess something similar is happening with Laura Craft.

Mostly yes - the latest daily build fixes the Laura problems too, except the script 11AA_LauraScript7.5 where the "." in the name results in it being interpreted as a floating point number and rejected. Renaming it to 11AA_LauraScript7_5 fixes it, and I'm currently playing through with Laura and no obvious problems. Witchgirl/Morgana appears to be OK.
Yes, Loriel, I still have to install OpenMW, and as always, the first install of something new is the most intimidating part. I also should look at the old scripts and try to recapitulate it all. As for Morowind versus Skyrim, Morrowind has always been much closer to my heart than Skyrim. In fact, I never liked Skyrim much, and bringing Vilja there was very much in order to make it more friendly and more Oblivion-like.
With the recent journal fix for Laura/Laurenna, it might be worth waiting for the next release, 0.42, which should be out around the end of the month. Alternatively, get the latest daily build of the current release - see viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1808.

The OpenMW construction set is significantly different from the original Morrowind one - I'd be interested to hear your views on which bits you think are better/worse. I suspect there's still a few bits missing, but I'm not really familiar with either version.

Loriel
Emma

Post by Emma »

Great news about Laura and Lokken, Loriel :)

I have now installed the latest "full" version of OpenMW (from december 2016) and browsed around a bit and played a little Morrowind. So far I haven't even tried to figure out how to open Morrowind mods in the new construction set.

But, I have been looking in the original Morrowind construction set a little.

I posted previously:
I do remember that we used a draw/sheath thing with a dagger in the Constance/Beryl scripts in order to fix another problem, I think this is possibly the trigger for their attack behaviour. I'll see if I can recall what it was about, but there is a lot to catch up with, especially as it was Grumpy who did the majority of the brain work behind these scripts. And, sadly, he isn't there to ask anymore...
Well, the dagger was in earlier version. What happens with Constance, Hurd, Beryl et al is that they are supposed to *attack themselves* and then stop combat.

If I remember correctly this was due to an issue with that they would get stuck with their animations if they had been levitating.
What I'm thinking is that in OpenMW, the part with that for instance aa_comp_constance should attack aa_comp_constance could be failing and instead aa_comp_constance is attacking everything.

the script parts looks like this:

Code: Select all

if ( soundPlayed == 1 )
  set noSay to 1
  StartCombat aa_comp_constance
  set noSay to 0
;  messagebox "Working"
  set soundPlayed to 0
  set combatCheck to 0
  set combatMode to 0
  set combatDone to 1
endif
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

While OpenMW-CS is not as feature complete as the original CS, we're getting there. That being said, it is very different and feedback is highly appreciated. The whole point of OpenMW-CS is to make it easier for people to create new games and modify (mod) existing ones.
Darklocq

Post by Darklocq »

Further testing notes [with some addl. details since I first wrote this]:

I was able to use Ingred from Domehome, to an extent, but after most every combat she goes into "fighting nothing" mode. E.g., will fire all her arrows, hundreds of them, at an invisible enemy in the ground. Doing a Calm Humanoid on her, then dialoguing with her scripts (follow, stay, etc.) seems to take her out of this fight response. Her ring works as expected, and she does not flip out and go into fight mode when summoned by it, while the rest of the Domehome staff do, at least if there's another of the NPCs in the area. Different rings (Staff Ring versus Ingred's Ring). Her teleport-to-site ring has me just use her occasionally as a well-armored pack mule. >;-)

Witchgirl Morgana seems to be working in these regards (no combat problems so far, though there's no ring, or at least not yet). But she's very dangerous, and isn't working in some ways. Most notably, her option to not summon atronachs doesn't work. She summons one just to fight a Kwama Forager, and it has killed me several times by accident. I've learned to work around it, but don't use her much. Mostly just to distract Gaenor with summons while I hit him from behind.

Thief Constance exhibited the fight problem, but this was in proximity to other companions; need to test her alone. It's the same symptom as with Hurd and Beryl, though: The fight ends, and all seems normal, then about 3-5 seconds later, the character issues a battle cry and starts swinging at the air, or at anyone nearby, including the PC.

Basically, all companions freaked out eventually in proximity to Abot's Guar (the rideable one), which is badly malfunctional, and runs through the ground into the water table if it goes fast. I couldn't figure out how to steer it, stop riding it, get it to stop or slow down, or anything else. It will not teleport or transport with the player as advertised (when I tried to take it on a siltsrider, and came back when I noticed it hadn't come with me, I found it had fallen off the platform after I left, and badly injured itself). It also monkeys with NPC companion dialog, and adds guar-riding stuff to them, even if they've never been guar-riding, and these dialog options stick. They also tie directly into hampering companions' resetting from combat mode and going back into follow mode. After using Calvus and this guar on the same trip, Calvus agreed to follow, and did not, until I told him to stop riding a guar he was not riding, and I had to keep telling him that again and again; eventually had to scrap hours of play and revert to a pre-guar save. This guar also gets in the way, a lot, warping to where it overlaps with the PC and occludes the view and blocks forward motion. And it will just stop following and stand there. So, don't try that mod with OpenMW any time soon, fun as it might be to ride the guar. (On the plus side, its ability to learn and level in its own way does appear to be active; after I abandoned it for days and came back to the same area, I got a message that it had learned something new while I was gone, though I'm not sure what. Its ability to feed and heal itself off alch. herbs you give it. and without consuming them all rapidly, is also apparently functional.)

Wolf Companion and Dog Companions seem to work fine. I've used the wolf a lot, but the dogs' barking is too loud for me (they bark a lot when in wait mode, and the volume is unnecessarily loud, probably easily fixed with an MP3 editor).

Companionable Cats: Only the kittens are available. Can't add the adult cats even with the console. Just get a "thwack" sound, like they've fallen from a great height and died, but they do not visually appear. They kittens frequently cause very notable frame rate problems, but they are short lived, just occurring during part of their animation cycle, I think. I put them in different rooms so it doesn't hit me often enough to get rid of them.

Someone else's Jasmine companion, based ultimately on the same Emma/Grumpy script package but customized a lot, was working fine, until more of her quest scripting kicked in at player Reputation 3, and she broke after trying to give me a telepathy ring. Still broken after I added it via the console – now I can't even get her back with PositionCell, after attempting to use her ring. Was marginally functional before I tried to use it; I just had to thank her for giving me a ring she didn't give me, every time I opened dialogue with her when she wasn't in wait mode.

The Emma/Grumpy pack donkeys and pack guars are not working for me; they are non-responsive when you buy them; same goes for Pack Animal Merchant by Baratheon79, which seems to be the same basic scripting. The (non-ridable) pack guars and rats added by Balmora Expansion work fine, as do the Bethesda Mournhold rats.

Laura always goes into sleep-awake-sleep-awake cycle, after I interacted with her last time (seems to be triggered by the hurry up/sleep a little longer dialogue section). Even before this, she would not follow, and her skills did not actually increase when you paid for her studies. Respawning her does not help. I just left her at her house (and took her armor to give to Ingred, who is okay with Heavy Armor class). Laura even does the sleep loop if you use her ring to get her to meet you in Vivec.

The only companions I have zero problems with, other than the usual obstacle-navigation issues, and sticking arrows in my back, and getting in the way of mine, are the Bethesda Mournhold mercenary guy Calvus Horatius, the above-mentioned pack rats and BE pack guars (aside from not shooting arrows!), and Dawn, who is definitely derived from Grumpy's Companion Project (and includes its readme), and is very simple. Curiously, Grumpy's own originals, Cally and Gabran, didn't work in OpenMW when I tried them. Presumably the were the beta.

My general conclusion is that the scripting of the Dawn companion, though simple, is very robust and resistant to error, both combat- and movement-related. If I were to create a new companion mod, I'd start with that code, though Jasmine's levitation is better (you have to turn Dawn's off manually). The bulk of the companion problems seem to be engaging in inappropriate combat (often with nothing, but also often with the PC and his/her other followers), and also custom scripting that eventually breaks (quests, special items, teleportation/meetup, sleeping, etc.; see also the threads on Ashlander companion Julan).
Last edited by Darklocq on 07 Apr 2017, 06:11, edited 1 time in total.