Help with shiny fake-bump mapped rocks

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
Blunderking

Help with shiny fake-bump mapped rocks

Post by Blunderking »

Hey, new to the forum. Love what you folks are doing with OpenMW, but I had an issue that's well known but I can't seem to figure out. So you lot know the deal with shiny rocks being a result of fake bump-mapping and that you need to remove it using Nifscope in the guide (http://openmw.readthedocs.io/en/stable/ ... _mods.html). The issue is that even following this guide to the letter AND double-checking I still got shiny rocks. And then some forum post here had a link to some rock textures, and after downloading it, it actually worked. No more shiny rocks.

Until I got to Molag Amur and say a field of massive, aluminum-foil-covered rocks. Anyone care to help me with this predicament? Perhaps know of some normal-mapped textures for Molag Amur that I can download?
lysol

Re: Help with shiny fake-bump mapped rocks

Post by lysol »

Welcome!

First, let's start with a question: What mod(s) do you have installed? MGSO? Morrowind Rebirth?
Capostrophic

Post by Capostrophic »

lysol wrote:Morrowind Rebirth?
I was told Rebirth's rocks no longer use legacy bump-mapping.
lysol

Post by lysol »

Capostrophic wrote:
lysol wrote:Morrowind Rebirth?
I was told Rebirth's rocks no longer use legacy bump-mapping.
Praise Azura!
Blunderking

Post by Blunderking »

I don't have rebirth but I have MGSO, though I thought MGSO doesn't work properly with OpenMW in a similar fashion to the MCP. As for texture/mesh mods that effect the landscape, On the Rocks Coast variety, texture fix 2.0 and texture fix - Bloodmoon 1.1.

For some reason that texture/model collection that I downloaded from here doesn't show up as an .esp/.esm but it might have simply replaced the fake bump mapped textures in OTR. That and as it's name implies it only effects more coastal rocks, and Molag Amur is a volcanic region some ways off the coast. As for the other two I'm fairly confident texture fixes would not cause this.
lysol

Post by lysol »

MGSO works perfectly fine with OpenMW, except that it includes the On The Rocks! texture pack, which uses the fake bump mapping (which is causing the shiny rocks). Could you link me to the downloads for On the Rocks Coast variety? I might have a look at that and see if I can fix it for you.

Simple model and texture replacers don't really need *.esp or *.esm files, so everything is probably as it should. As you say, it probably replaced the files in on the rocks. I guess the Coast Variety pack is some sort of expansion to the original On the Rocks!-pack, which is why you still have shiny rocks in some places.
Blunderking

Post by Blunderking »

Thank you, you should also post that in the appropriate subforum for download for others with this problem. Anyways I looked OTR up and got:
http://mw.modhistory.com/download-68-14107
http://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/43075/?

The former I believe is used in the MCP but the lack of Coast Variety at the end makes it questionable. The latter I now remember I followed from a link on this forum and downloaded and fixed the rocks except for the ones in Molag Amur.
Blunderking

Post by Blunderking »

Also should probably let you guys know I checked the models of the shiny rocks via console and got:
Content file: Morrowind.esm
RefNum: 192520
RefID: terrain_rock_rm_14
Cell: Ascadian Isles Region
Grid: -2 -5
Coordinates: -12038.3 -36296.4 258.593
Model: meshes\f\Terrain_rock_RM_14.NIF

The other rocks also seem to be in the /f/ folder and have the filename Terrain_rock_RM_[a number].NIF, specifically 14, 15, 17, 19, and perhaps more.
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

The simple method to fix the issue is to delete the nif files. They should be replaced by original game files, which do not make use of environment maps. The harder path is to modify those nif files according to Lysol's guide.
sjek

Post by sjek »

one point though

what it should look like when finished

renaming normal map and moving reflect to gloss texture
gives kinda good effect

if the normal and reflect is just renamed
the surface becomes all cyan

close up
this might be separate as that happens when the textureEffect is left as default to cg_sphere_map coordination generation type. others doesn't give same chromatic look. the ao (intended ambient occlusions reckon) might be effecting in detail map's place but dunno.

this on that meshes\f\Terrain_rock_RM_14.NIF
player->position -12038.3 -36296.4 258.593 0

the nexus patch covers part of the rocks and would assume that esp plugin is modified. patch in here forums only covers rocks on that patch so the affected rocks with aluminium look are still from the original by taddeus in modhistory.

edit: oh... ok. read the first paragraph and the textures are looked upon outside of the nif file......
When OpenMW finally adds normal mapping, it simply takes the NiSourceTexture file path, e.g., exampletexture_01.dds, and looks for a exampletexture_01_n.dds. If it can’t find this file, no normal mapping is added. If it does find this file, the model will use this texture as a normal map. Simple.
so this basically means that specular, normal and height map can be added to kinda any other texture effect defined in nif's .?
certainly testing in some point