Where do I start?

Everything about development and the OpenMW source code.
FedeWar

Where do I start?

Post by FedeWar »

Hello, just a few days ago I filed an application topic on this forum and now I'm ready to start. I have Morrowind (Steam), the OpenMW source code (already compiled and tested) and I'm registered in the issue tracker.
My question is: what do I have to do now? I'd like to start from something simple, just to get used to the environment.

I'm on GMT+1 and normally I login at 19:00 - 22:00 (GMT), so I'll see your answers tomorrow,
thanks in advance.
Allofich

Re: Where do I start?

Post by Allofich »

Well, I would say first, if you are not already, get familiar with the original game, and look at the bug tracker for something you think you might be able to or interested to fix. You could also probably find various little things that aren't reported as bugs yet, and choose them instead. Then search for it in the source code and try fixing it!

If you think you have a good fix, submit a pull request to the OpenMW GitHub page. Also take a look at the guidelines (not long) http://wiki.openmw.org/index.php?title= ... _Standards.
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

I think most of the low fruit has been picked on the engine side of OpenMW, but you might find some easy tasks in OpenMW-CS.
Allofich

Post by Allofich »

I think most of the low fruit has been picked on the engine side of OpenMW
Maybe, but I suspect there are quite a few little things that could use fixing, but just haven't been noticed or reported yet. I come across them while working on or testing other issues. But I would say to first consider the already reported bugs, and yes, we could probably use another person working on the editor.
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

Allofich wrote:[...] and yes, we could probably use another person working on the editor.
Seconded! And in terms of little things that need fixing, OpenMW-CS is definitely the better place to go.
FedeWar

Post by FedeWar »

Those are some great suggestions, I'll try CS.