I've been inactive for the last weeks due to RL reasons -- and this won't change a lot in the next 4 to 5 weeks. While the work on additional videos is put on hold for the time being, I decided to spend my scattered free time digging through the OpenMW-CS source code. The reason is a very simple one: future moddability and OpenMW-CS rule! However, with aesylwinn retiring and Zini working on Titans of Ether, progress on our editor has stopped -- and I don't want to see a 0.42 release without any new OpenMW-CS features (okay, we have book texts now).
To cut a long story short: I have started to do a bit of coding. Please keep in mind that my coding abilities are just above the "can write spaghetti code" level. Currently, I'm focussing on table contents, layout, and value ranges for input fields (and corresponding verifier adjustments).
The following small "features" and fixes are ready for a PR:
- [Done] Fix Book records to show Skill IDs instead of Attribute IDs for the teached skill.
- [Done] Change the "Scroll" check box for Book records to a combo box (more user-friendly IMO).
- [Done] Merge the "Skeleton Blood (White)", "Metal Blood (Golden)", and "Default (Red)" blood types for Creature and NPC records into a single combo box. (They can only have one type anyway.)
- Merge the different light emitter types ("Flickering", "Slow Flickering", ...) for Light records into a single combo box. (They can only have one type too.)
- Change the "Female" check box for NPC and Body Part records to a combo box (again, more user-friendly).
- Some cosmetics: fixed typos, added comments to the new/adjusted code.
- Integrate the "Blocked" and "References Persist" flags.
- Make ranks editable in Faction records. (AFAIK, this isn't possible yet.)
- Show actual rank names instead of integers in NPC records.
- Add a "Reference Count" label to records in Objects table.
- Calculate and display encumbrance for Container, Creature, and NPC records.
- Re-arrange record layouts (especially to get rid of the space-consuming "Buys xyz" list in Creature and NPC records). I have already made some concepts for the different record types in the Objects table in Qt Designer.
- Directly limit input in data fields (e.g., 0 ... 100 for disposition).
- Adjust and complete the verifier functions.
- Add detailed tool tips to all entries (with description, limits, enabled/disabled conditions, ...).
- (Implement auto-calculation for NPC records.)
1. My first changes aren't very complex. Should I submit a pull request for every single of them anyway?
2. What is the "Faction ID" entry in NPC records for?
3. Should we limit data input to the original limitations present in TES CS? E.g., "Weapon Speed" and "Weapon Reach" values are limited to [0.10 ... 10].
4. How do you feel about fixing typos in our source code? E.g., I have renamed the member variable "mSkillID" to "mSkillId" to fit our naming conventions. There are also several misspelled instances of "referenceables"...