OpenMW discord

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
DestinedToDie

OpenMW discord

Post by DestinedToDie »

These days I visit irc once a week and chat in discord all day. So I've decided to open up an OpenMW discord. Join me simply by clicking here.
Last edited by DestinedToDie on 20 Oct 2018, 17:15, edited 2 times in total.
jvoisin

Re: OpenMW discord

Post by jvoisin »

I'm not sure about the advantages of a shiny proprietary platform over irc (open protocol, a lot of implementation) and the forum :/
sjek

Post by sjek »

there's one. globally saved history althought dancer is that forum is quieter or more active after it. it would take eons to scroll morrowind discord general page to start (half a year)

+ becos saved history and name pins easier to ask troubleshoot questions + support for emotes... general spam advisory .p
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

Tamriel Rebuilt is using Discord and I have to say the results are pretty impressive. It reminds me a lot of Slack.

I recommend using Discord instead of IRC and I think we should add a link to the OpenMW Discord server to the top of the OpenMW navigation bar and try to discourage usage of the IRC channel in favor of it. It's much better and has a lot of features you just can't get with IRC.
rstevenson1976

Post by rstevenson1976 »

what openmw discord? I clicked the link and it opened discord, but there's no openmw discord listed in my discord server list
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

Hmmm, shows up for me.
rstevenson1976

Post by rstevenson1976 »

there we go, it came up in the app, but not he web client
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

So people have been asking for a webhook to be set up so a bot would spam github updates on Discord. Well here is the webhook:

https://discordapp.com/api/webhooks/293 ... -cY/github

However someone with access to github would need to add that in. Here's a guide on how to do it: https://support.discordapp.com/hc/en-us ... /228383668
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

@Zini & @Scrawl: what do you guys think?
halbe

Post by halbe »

I'd imagine the apprehension towards using Discord has to do with the fact that it is proprietary and a lot of people here are FOSS enthusiasts. I really don't like IRC though so perhaps something like TOX could work as a middleground.