New Quest Mod designed for (and with) OpenMW

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
metalpoetza

New Quest Mod designed for (and with) OpenMW

Post by metalpoetza »

I'm happy to announce the first public release of my new mod: The Redguard Rug.

This is an elaborate quest mod in which you will trace the story of an ancient legend to obtain a powerful artifact. The quest reward is a completely custom item I designed and scripted, nothing like it exists in any Elder Scrolls game - but I did try to keep the whole thing as lore-friendly as possible and the item is well balanced. Rather than a god-mode item (it doesn't provide much you couldn't get with items already in the game, just combines those abilities in a unique way into a single item).

You can get a copy at Nexus: http://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/44649

This is the very first public release - and while it works it's not quite as good as I would like it to be, in particular I would love to collaborate with a 3D artist to improve the modelling and texturing of the final reward so ping me if you'd be keen.

Note: it's possible this will work in vanilla if you rename the .omwaddon file to .esp - but I haven't tested it and I have no idea if it will work. It was created with openmw-cs and tested with openmw 0.40.0 and the latest nightly build and that works well. I also playtested it on a run with lots of other mods installed including morrowind-rebirth and didn't find any incompatibilities.
It does require both Tribunal and Bloodmoon as I used some of their added scripting functions in the mod.
werdanith

Re: New Quest Mod designed for (and with) OpenMW

Post by werdanith »

Tried the mod, here are my thoughts.
Interesting concept, and the hack to get it to work. Concerning the rug I see some purple lines on the edges, like a mesh not fitting the texture exactly, I'm not using a texture replacer. Also it has no trouble going through the roof of houses in Balmora, don't know if that can be fixed. With regards to dialogue I think I saw slain spelled "slayn" in the final dialogue.

Finally, on the quest, an alternative course of action to get the information would be nice.
I'm not sure it's wise to mess with forces of that scale. ;)
metalpoetza

Post by metalpoetza »

werdanith wrote:Tried the mod, here are my thoughts.
Interesting concept, and the hack to get it to work.
I went through about 40 different variations on the scripting. The "hack" actually turned out to work better than any of the rest :P
werdanith wrote:Concerning the rug I see some purple lines on the edges, like a mesh not fitting the texture exactly, I'm not using a texture replacer.
Interesting, I haven't observed that- this could be a consequence of me not trying it *without* texture replacers. But if somebody volunteers and I get a custom model/texture that would be resolved as well.
werdanith wrote:Also it has no trouble going through the roof of houses in Balmora, don't know if that can be fixed. With regards to dialogue I think I saw slain spelled "slayn" in the final dialogue.
Yeah, that is because of the lack of collision on the mesh from below - which is part of why I'm hoping to get somebody who knows 3D graphics to volunteer to help improve that. I opened it up in Blender to see if I could do it myself... my head began to spin. I am definitely not a 3D artist.
werdanith wrote:Finally, on the quest, an alternative course of action to get the information would be nice.
I'm not sure it's wise to mess with forces of that scale. ;)
Hehehe - what can I say... I really *hate* that guy. But yeah, I suppose it would be nice to create a way that avoids it. Like perhaps if you raise her disposition to 100 she asks for a less extreme favour.
lysol

Post by lysol »

This is really a milestone for OpenMW. Awesome! Haven't downloaded your mod yet, but I just had to say congratulations to release the (probably) first OpenMW exclusive Morrowind mod ever!
Jyby

Post by Jyby »

Definitely going to check this out. Very cool.

@Atahualpa Perhaps MrOpenMW could start a mod showcase series at some point.
metalpoetza

Post by metalpoetza »

lysol wrote:This is really a milestone for OpenMW. Awesome! Haven't downloaded your mod yet, but I just had to say congratulations to release the (probably) first OpenMW exclusive Morrowind mod ever!
Thank you for the kind words, but I can't claim that honour, this is the second OpenMW exclusive mod I've done - and Lysol's bumpmap texture mods beat me by a long time :D

Edit: Oh wait.. you are Lysol - well I consider your work to be the first.

I actually tried to do a different one before this - wanted to create a way to poison NPCs using pickpocketing (much like in Skyrim) - but without the script extender functions I just kept running into dead-ends there. I just couldn't find a way to make that work. Would still like to revisit that at some point, perhaps post 1.0 if OpenMW adds teh MWSE functions.
Last edited by metalpoetza on 17 Dec 2016, 22:58, edited 1 time in total.
metalpoetza

Post by metalpoetza »

Jyby wrote:Definitely going to check this out. Very cool.

Ooh, that would be cool. I actually think it may be nice to have a modders topic in the forum - to allow people working on OpenMW mods to collaborate, share ideas and knowledge and discuss solutions to common problems. I don't know if there's enough of us yet to justify that though, but as OpenMW gets ever more popular, you can expect more and more modders to target it - or even, as I did, actually learn to mod using openmw-cs.
Jyby

Post by Jyby »

metalpoetza wrote:
Jyby wrote:Definitely going to check this out. Very cool.

Ooh, that would be cool. I actually think it may be nice to have a modders topic in the forum - to allow people working on OpenMW mods to collaborate, share ideas and knowledge and discuss solutions to common problems. I don't know if there's enough of us yet to justify that though, but as OpenMW gets ever more popular, you can expect more and more modders to target it - or even, as I did, actually learn to mod using openmw-cs.
+1 that's a great idea, plus we already have one, Content Development Section: viewforum.php?f=39

It would also be equally appropriate to announce your new mods there, just don't make double posts
Jyby

Post by Jyby »

Hey metalpoetza,

I'm trying to follow your mods installation instructions. I'm stuck here:
Add the directory to your openmw.cfg in the data= section
How do I add the directory to the data section?
data="/Applications/Morrowind/Data Files"
Thanks
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Add a second data="/path/goes/here" line. It's just like any other mod in OpenMW.