Bloodmoon Raven Rock/Colony Quest (Under Siege)

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
Kael

Bloodmoon Raven Rock/Colony Quest (Under Siege)

Post by Kael »

Bloodmoon:Under Siege

I'm trying to get farther into the quest but I can't. After coming back from Fort Frostmoth where you get the three silver swords, Falco Galenus responds by saying he's been under attack by the Skaal. I went inside the mines, killed the Skaal, and got the note from the last person "Toralf" I think it was. I killed him, and the 2 colonists that are trapped don't recognize that I killed Toralf right infront of them. Also, I went back to Falco Galenus with the note and he just says "We need to put a stop to the Skaal attack before anyone gets killed. Get in the mine, and make sure the workers are safe. Kill the Nords if you have to." I killed all the Nords and there are none of them left. What gives?
MiroslavR

Re: Bloodmoon Raven Rock/Colony Quest (Under Siege)

Post by MiroslavR »

You may have stumbled upon bugs #3513/#3528. Have you disposed of any of the barbarians' corpses before their death animation could finish?
Kael

Post by Kael »

Yeah, you're right. I figured that out before you posted those bugs. So I went in, killed them again, did not dispose of the corpses, and the quest was working fine then. Weird. I usually dispose of the corpses and quests would work fine before transferring to OpenMW. Why do those bugs occur then?
MiroslavR

Post by MiroslavR »

Kael wrote:Why do those bugs occur then?
Because death events trigger when the death animation finishes, not the moment the NPC is struck dead. The original engine does not allow corpses to be looted while the death animation is playing (unless the NPC hadn't been in combat prior to their death).
silentthief

Post by silentthief »

MiroslavR wrote:
Because death events trigger when the death animation finishes, not the moment the NPC is struck dead. The original engine does not allow corpses to be looted while the death animation is playing (unless the NPC hadn't been in combat prior to their death).
In vanilla, it was even possible to take the items from a creature that you or an enemy combatant summoned (like a glass/daedric weapon from a golden saint) -- providing you were quick enough to grab it before the death animation ended and the summons disappeared.

ST
MiroslavR

Post by MiroslavR »

silentthief wrote:In vanilla, it was even possible to take the items from a creature that you or an enemy combatant summoned (like a glass/daedric weapon from a golden saint) -- providing you were quick enough to grab it before the death animation ended and the summons disappeared.
As I said in my previous post, whether you can loot it or not depends on whether it was engaged in combat prior to its death. However, I've found out it's always possible to loot a summon for a split second (a single frame?) AFTER the death animation ends and BEFORE the summon disappears, which seems unintentional to me.
silentthief wrote:enemy combatant summoned
Are you sure? That doesn't seem to be true unless you're talking about the split second I've just described.
silentthief

Post by silentthief »

You may be right (I am not 100% sure on the specific timing) -- I just know that there is a split second where the corpse is raid-able, which is hard to do but is possible.

ST