The new FAQ video(s)

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.

What format shall the new FAQ on YouTube have?

I need a sleeping aid: Make it a single video! (Approx. 15 to 30 min.)
32%
Man, we are on YouTube! Make it a video series. (Approx. 3 to 8 min each.)
68%

Total votes: 34

Zini

Re: The new FAQ video(s)

Post by Zini »

We will also agree on a new set of main goals leading us to version 2.0, the second and more mature major version of OpenMW. Remember, nearly every feature is possible, if there's somebody willing to implement it.
This I do not agree with. The idea post 1.0 is mostly to extend and generalise what is already there (the de-hardcoding). But we do not have specific goals. We would continue with 1.x releases potentially indefinitely, unless we come up with a very fundamental enhancement. It is also not correct to call 2.0 more mature than 1.0.
Capostrophic

Post by Capostrophic »

Well, about multiplayer...

edit: oops
Last edited by Capostrophic on 16 Oct 2016, 15:18, edited 2 times in total.
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

Capostrophic wrote:Well, about multiplayer...
It seems that you beat me to it; I just wanted to ask for any news about multiplayer.
Zini wrote: [...]The idea post 1.0 is mostly to extend and generalise what is already there (the de-hardcoding). But we do not have specific goals. We would continue with 1.x releases potentially indefinitely, unless we come up with a very fundamental enhancement. It is also not correct to call 2.0 more mature than 1.0.
Ah, okay, I got that wrong. I'll update the script accordingly.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Multiplayer is a possible candidate for a 2.0. But that is still far into the future. Nothing we can commit to, even when 1.0 finally has come around.
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

I've completely reworked the multiplayer passage in part three, partially reworked the post-1.0 statement Zini criticised, and added questions regarding gamepad and VR system support. Feedback (as always) appreciated.

I've also updated the answers in my OP, so everyone can quickly check for the abovementioned updates.
OpenMW_FAQ.pdf
(211.52 KiB) Downloaded 284 times
OpenMW_FAQ_Parts.zip
(18.28 KiB) Downloaded 249 times

Btw: From looking at the sheer amount of text, I can say that we'll rather have a total length of 60 minutes in this video series than the 15 to 30 minutes I estimated in poll option 1. :roll:
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

Another question regarding the FAQ videos:

Are there by any chance willing translators for the script? I'll do a German translation, as usual, but I'd especially like to see Russian subtitles for the FAQ videos. Correct me on this but I think that there are many people out there whose English is rather rudimentary. Providing a translated version of the FAQ (videos) would be a huge gain for them. -- As I said, Russian subtitles would be very nice to have (*innocently looks at Capostrophic*) but French, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish, Vulcan... Every help is welcome.

So, anyone here who has some spare time left and/or is a passionate translator?
Capostrophic

Post by Capostrophic »

I'm here.
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

Capostrophic wrote:I'm here.
I thought of you because of your translation work for the 0.36 video. (And the unfinished 0.37/0.38 subtitles...)

How do you feel about doing translations just now? I have some Russian/Russian-speaking friends but they don't have the time to translate my whole pamphlet -- they are willing to proof-read everything though.
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

Okay, let's keep this one short: I won't be able to finish the FAQ videos before version 0.41.0 arrives. That's why I discarded my original plan to first release the FAQ videos early in December and subsequently publish the release commentaries in mid-December.

The new plan is as follows:

1. Create and release the commentary videos for v0.41.0 before Christmas.
2. Unhurriedly finish the FAQ videos (with some extras) in the new year.

Sorry for the inconvenience. :(
raevol

Post by raevol »

No stress! It's a lot of work, take your time. :)