Testing vanilla textures

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
MiroslavXO

Testing vanilla textures

Post by MiroslavXO »

Testing something with vanilla textures, trying to give them HD version without the blur.
What you think? This is 128x256 (original size) rescaled to 512x1024

http://oi63.tinypic.com/2psjbzs.jpg
Pherim

Re: Testing vanilla textures

Post by Pherim »

Not a fan of the noise, to be honest.
Svetomech

Post by Svetomech »

Not a fan of the noise
Same here. Don't like the noise and especially grain effects in games (I always turn them off).
MiroslavXO

Post by MiroslavXO »

Well I did use about 8 filters but not on 100% because of the noise, but without it I can't get sharper image. :(
lysol

Post by lysol »

Unfortunately that's just something you have to live with when doing stuff like this. There are really no ways to magically add details to an image. Adding filters and sharpening it may help a bit (like in your case) but you'll also sharpen (and also increase) the noise in the image.

So basically, the advantage of techniques like this is that you get a sharper version of the vanilla texture. The disadvantage is the noise you'll produce, and that it in many cases just won't look like a true high res texture would look if it was made in that resolution from the beginning.
owatnext

Post by owatnext »

I don't think it makes it look "realistic" if that's what you're going for, but it looks alright nonetheless.
It appears to me to look kinda like how you would print a T shirt, like a graphic design feel.
MiroslavXO

Post by MiroslavXO »

I was wondering did Bethesda made textures in the same resolution as shown in the game, or did they made them smaller for the game because you know it was 2002?
There are some really small resolution with very detailed textures.
Maybe they had a task to make them all 1K and then compress it for the game to run smoother (optimization), did anyone ever investigate this? :geek:
I mean I'm looking at the 64x32 texture but you can see it have nice details.

So if someone would contact them and ask them would they replay, would they dig their base to look for this matter?
Chris

Post by Chris »

MiroslavXO wrote:did they made them smaller for the game because you know it was 2002?
That's likely. Most developers make assets that are higher detail, then downscale them to work with the target hardware. Normal maps, for example, are generally made using the original high-detail mesh, while the game uses a comparatively lower-detailed mesh. And with Skyrim, they released an official HD texture pack for PC because the game's target hardware (consoles) was pretty low compared to contemporary PCs.
lysol

Post by lysol »

MiroslavXO wrote: So if someone would contact them and ask them would they replay, would they dig their base to look for this matter?
If they did still have higher res stuff available, they probably would have released it already. I don't think they still have them actually.
MiroslavXO

Post by MiroslavXO »

When was the latest official patch, 2003?
I think they have them if they made them in larger resolution, don't see a reason to dismisses them.
Probably the hole project is somewhere dip down, just need to dig it up, the whole archive data.
I think they did not turn back to Morrowind after releasing Oblivion and after that Skyrim, and focusing on each game at the current time.
But it would be nice if we can get some information, to see if it is possible somehow to know the truth, and if anything maybe can be done with it.
Worst thing it could happen is they just ignore the mail, or say something like they just don't wanna bother with that.