Partial fix for shiny rock textures

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
dutchbandit

Partial fix for shiny rock textures

Post by dutchbandit »

I've been trying to find some rock texture replacements that work with OpenMW and this setup seems to work:

1) Install "On The Rocks" textures and meshes EXCEPT Molag Amur, Ashlands, Red Mountain, or Solstheim packs:
http://mw.modhistory.com/download-44-14107

Do NOT enable the .esp that comes with the shores pack.

2) Download "On The Rocks Optimised" and replace the meshes from the original pack with these ones:
http://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/43075/?

3) Delete any meshes or textures with "entrance" in the title. These are still shiny for some reason.
Capostrophic

Re: Partial fix for shiny rock textures

Post by Capostrophic »

If you only want to use texture replacements, don't install the meshes, it's that simple.
If you, however, want to use meshes too, you can open one with NifSkope and search for the path of reflection texture. It's located in NiSourceTexture which in its part located in NiTextureEffect. Then you will want to open this texture with any image editor with DDS support like Paint.net, GIMP, Photoshop with NVIDIA Texture Tools plugin etc. and simply fill it with black and perhaps decrease resolution to 4x4 so it doesn't affect graphic memory using by these NiTextureEffect in any meaningful way.

The more correct way to do it is removing any NiTextureEffect with spherical environment maps in meshes, but you'd need to edit every mesh like the author did, just in reverse.

By the way, the textures which are used in Taddeus's rock replacers are tad_rock_refl[1/2].dds.

DO NOT delete those, you will have purple rocks.
dutchbandit

Post by dutchbandit »

Interesting, thanks for the tips. I never went too crazy with mods before, but they are so much easier to manage now thanks to this project.
lysol

Post by lysol »

Capostrophic wrote:If you, however, want to use meshes too, you can open one with NifSkope and search for the path of reflection texture. It's located in NiSourceTexture which in its part located in NiTextureEffect. Then you will want to open this texture with any image editor with DDS support like Paint.net, GIMP, Photoshop with NVIDIA Texture Tools plugin etc. and simply fill it with black and perhaps decrease resolution to 4x4 so it doesn't affect graphic memory using by these NiTextureEffect in any meaningful way.
Why didn't I think about this before? I always thought I'd have to open up the models and remove the environment map from there, which I am too lazy for. This is a lot easier.