OpenMW 0.40.0

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
Knots

Re: OpenMW 0.40.0

Post by Knots »

Hope this is in the right place. Just tried out 0.40.0 windows x64 and I'm getting 0 - 5 FPS in exteriors on my GTX 1080. Turning off frivolous graphics options and reducing my resolution helped "some" but this is a steep decline in performance as compared to what I was seeing in 0.39.0
Capostrophic

Post by Capostrophic »

The problem is on your side.
K1ll

Post by K1ll »

MrAnonGuy wrote:
K1ll wrote: IIRC I'm intentionally leaving out libpng because there was a problem with the system Qt4 picking up the bundled libpng library even though it depends on the systems libpng version. Means neither the launcher nor openmw-cs were able to run even though Qt4 was available. Most distros (including Fedora) have a separate libpng12 Package and after installing that the binaries do run fine.

Also OSG does print errors to the console when it can't load a module because of a missing dependency so there is an indication that something went wrong and how to fix it. Anyway maybe we should add to the release notes that Qt4 and libpng12 are required to use the targz package binaries.
Greetings,

Are there specific reasons that you are building against libpng 1.2 and Qt4? I'm a Fedora user and in OM V0.39, and now in V0.40, I used Qt5 and libpng 1.6 when building the binaries. Everything seemed to work OK, but maybe I just didn't realize there were issues. Is there code that requires these older packages, or can the new versions of Qt and libpng be used without issues?

I'm wondering if I should rebuild using the older packages?

Thanks!
Hi,

there should be no issues with building openmw with more recent versions of Qt and libpng.

I'm building openmw with these old dependencies to make sure (or rather in the hope) that the binaries can be run on as many linux distros as possible. In theory they should even run on Centos 7 maybe even on Centos 6 (I probably should check if that is indeed the case).
Allofich

Post by Allofich »

Knots wrote:Hope this is in the right place. Just tried out 0.40.0 windows x64 and I'm getting 0 - 5 FPS in exteriors on my GTX 1080. Turning off frivolous graphics options and reducing my resolution helped "some" but this is a steep decline in performance as compared to what I was seeing in 0.39.0
No one else seems to be having the problem, so I would suggest 2 things.

One, if you are still having the problem in 0.40.0, try the exact same configuration with 0.39.0. You can easily have two versions of OpenMW installed on your computer at once to compare like this, they share the list of plug-ins, etc. That would help in making sure about whether it's due to a difference in the OpenMW code between the versions.

Two, look in your openmw.log in My Documents/My Games/OpenMW or similar. See if there was some error message that shows up a lot.

If the slow down isn't due to the version difference, you could try posting in the Support Forum. viewforum.php?f=8
Last edited by Allofich on 01 Sep 2016, 13:36, edited 1 time in total.
MrAnonGuy

Post by MrAnonGuy »

K1ll wrote:Hi,

there should be no issues with building openmw with more recent versions of Qt and libpng.

I'm building openmw with these old dependencies to make sure (or rather in the hope) that the binaries can be run on as many linux distros as possible.
Thanks for info. I'll stick with the newer deps then. 8-)
Knots

Post by Knots »

Allofich wrote:No one else seems to be having the problem, so I would suggest 2 things.

One, if you are still having the problem in 0.40.0, try the exact same configuration with 0.39.0. You can easily have two versions of OpenMW installed on your computer at once to compare like this, they share the list of plug-ins, etc. That would help in making sure about whether it's due to a difference in the OpenMW code between the versions.

Two, look in your openmw.log in My Documents/My Games/OpenMW or similar. See if there was some error message that shows up a lot.

If the slow down isn't due to the version difference, you could try posting in the Support Forum. viewforum.php?f=8
EDIT: It would seem as though something was wrong with one of the files in my my games/openmw folder. I deleted that folder, re-installed 0.40.0, and the framerate issues are gone.

Like I said in my original post, this only happens in 0.40.0 for me.

Here's what I've done since posting...
1. Tried running 0.39.0 with the same install. Got very good performance, 100+ FPS with vsync off, even with all of the pretty graphics options set to on/maximum.
2. Re-tested under 0.40.0, bad performance persisted, 0 - 5 FPS in exteriors with all graphics "extras" turned off (aa, af, shadows, water shader, view distance at minimum) running at 640x480. I also noted that my performance seems to be low in interiors as well, though still playable, hovering between 30 - 60 FPS.
3. Did a completely fresh install of Morrowind for this purpose. I also removed my other installs from OpenMW.cfg so that only this new install was recognized, just trying to rule out it being some stray file in my data files override or something.
4. Re-tested under 0.40.0 AGAIN, same settings, same bad performance as with previous test mentioned at 2.

Once more, this is OpenMW 0.40.0 Windows 64-bit.

Here's my UserBenchmark which has a detailed analysis of my system specs, here's my OpenMW.log, and here's a screenshot of the Seyda Neen exterior with my FPS visible.
Last edited by Knots on 01 Sep 2016, 20:22, edited 1 time in total.
Lagahan

Post by Lagahan »

Ace (SWE) wrote: Well, several people have verified the 64-bit binary, haven't heard anyone mention the 32-bit one.
Just wanted to chime in with my verification on the 64bit binary also, not sure exactly how many hours I've put into it but I've got to level 46 from fresh with this (off sick so lotsa gaming done this week :P).
sjek

Post by sjek »

Well, several people have verified the 64-bit binary, haven't heard anyone mention the 32-bit one.

Anyone?
http://www.lysator.liu.se/~ace/OpenMW/r ... -win32.exe
seems to work fine with quick test
(little bit moving around seyda neen and lifting tree into sky in cs actually but works without taking extras into account)
aesylwinn

Post by aesylwinn »

@Knots How many cells are you loading? From your log, it looks like you have a large amount of cells loaded. Perhaps you are CPU bound? If you press F3 twice (default config), you should get a bar graph of how much frametime certain processes are taking.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

Here's my UserBenchmark which has a detailed analysis of my system specs, here's my OpenMW.log, and here's a screenshot of the Seyda Neen exterior with my FPS visible.
I think you've mixed something up. That log is from version 0.35.1.The screenshot has to be from version 0.35 or 0.36 (still has the old FPS counter). Also, your settings file seems to be messed up (huge amount of cells loaded).