Getting paid for work on OpenMW and its sub-projects

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Re: Getting paid for work on OpenMW and its sub-projects

Post by psi29a »

Good point, keep it all un-taxable.

I was just wondering what you could do that would be patron exclusive, as an extra incentive to help fund you. :)
NatalieN

Post by NatalieN »

Random thoughts: Maybe you can make a collection on http://opengameart.org/ and upload whatever the patreon campaign produces there?

Also, perhaps you could periodically pick priorities for assets, and allow patrons to vote amongst them for what gets done next? That way, the backers don't railroad you away from creating less glamorous important assets, but they still get some say in what gets made.
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

Both ideas sound pretty good actually. I´m all for them.
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

I made a poll where patrons can vote on what I´ll be working on.
ezze

Post by ezze »

This sounds quite interesting, in six months or so I'll finish my PhD in computer science and make a living out of FOSS project would be great.

So the basic idea is to join FOSS projects and use patreon.com to incentive people to support me and the projects?
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

You'll have to drum up business for yourself, your own PR and the rest. If you make a name for yourself, then you'll get more funding to keep working on what you're working on.
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

ezze wrote:This sounds quite interesting, in six months or so I'll finish my PhD in computer science and make a living out of FOSS project would be great.

So the basic idea is to join FOSS projects and use patreon.com to incentive people to support me and the projects?
Even Scrawl had to do some work on the side to fund himself. I am not expecting to ever hit the goal to fully cover rent and food. Just enough that I can justify spending a lot more time on the Example Suite. I think you shouldn´t expect to make a living out of it unless it gets insanely popular.

OpenMW might become insanely popular one day if it expands into multiple games, but that would be thanks to years of work put into the engine to get to that point.
GeorgeTheWarp

Post by GeorgeTheWarp »

ezze wrote:This sounds quite interesting, in six months or so I'll finish my PhD in computer science and make a living out of FOSS project would be great.

Making a living out of FOSS projects (or anything on which you rely on the public) necessitates more than a PhD, thought. You must have the will to work, a love for your craft and be ready to sacrifice a lot of time to put into that project. Also perphaps your family too... But don't do that, alright?

Also, I should point out near 50% of people who get out of college with their degree in computer science can't make a program that iterates through 1 to 100 and extracts all the multiples of 2 in it. What I mean by that is that, even with a degree, you'll suck. You'll suck less, but still, you'll suck. I mean, the best hackers I know of (ESR, RMS) are both not quite fond of school as a way to learn programming.

I'm trying to learn, but I need to divide my time between bass, guitar, work, not having access to a gpu, 3d modeling, and programming. So I'll probably suck my entire life. I'm thinking of sacrificing bass and guitar and all mer video games to concentrate on programming, but that's an hard decision mate.

Short thing short, I'm not quite sure you'll learn the craft of hacking buggy code in school, nor hacking good code.
Greywander

Post by Greywander »

Code: Select all

int counter = 1
list multOfTwo = new list

while counter <= 100
    if counter % 2 == 0
        multOfTwo.append(counter)
    endif
    counter++
endwhile
This is hard? The hardest part was figuring out how to "extract" the multiples of 2. Note this is pseudocode, but I know there are languages out there that have some kind of list or array type of object that lets you append new entries onto the end of it. Otherwise, if I'm forced to use a fixed length array, I might use a boolean array with a length of 100, with a true value denoting a multiple of 2. Really, it would depend on what I wanted to use such a list for that would determine how I would go about extracting it.

I took a few programming classes in college, and I wish I'd been a Comp Sci major, but alas, it was too late at that point. Then again, I do kind of feel like college was mostly a waste of my time and money. I actually learned to program by using Gamemaker (before it got taken over by YoYo Games). I'm still not a very good programmer yet. (I can understand Morrowind scripts (mostly) yet looking at the OpenMW source code I can only partially comprehend what's going on, and certainly wouldn't be able to make any kind of changes without breaking something.)
mcmurphy0101

Post by mcmurphy0101 »

So when you will start kickstarter campaign?

Bethesda will not do anything, i think.

Read about ReactOS: https://www.reactos.org/ , https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReactOS

It is in development from 1990s and Microsoft didn't do anything yet.

I see that some people already think that project is dead.

If you will start kickstarter campaign or something like that - you will collect millions of $, i think.

And you will finish project shortly. :D