Release Preparations

Everything about development and the OpenMW source code.
Zini

Release Preparations

Post by Zini »

pvdk is back and working on the launcher. We probably have a release soon. Since we are late already, taking a day or two to improve the readme file won't hurt. We need at least platform-specific installation instructions and instructions for setting up a openmw.cfg file in the user location with the data path.

All builders, could you please write a short installation instruction for the pre-build binary and post it here? Also, could you please specify the location of the user openmw.cfg file?
pvdk

Re: Release Preparations

Post by pvdk »

Ok, made a small change to the way the launcher finds the config files. Not entirely like you suggested but I really don't have time to make drastic changes to the code, since I'm leaving tomorrow morning.
The error you got saying "Could not read the location of the data files" should now only occur when a config file is present but does not contain a data= entry. That's a configuration issue imho, because the config file should be complete, even if other config files are present which do have a data= entry.
raevol

Post by raevol »

Let me know as soon as you need me for release manager duties. I'm here lots!
Zini

Post by Zini »

The error you got saying "Could not read the location of the data files" should now only occur when a config file is present but does not contain a data= entry. That's a configuration issue imho, because the config file should be complete, even if other config files are present which do have a data= entry.
Sorry, but no. More specific config files are supposed to add to/modify more general files. They don't replace them. I probably could come up with a dozen usage scenarios, but I am a bit busy right now and we will have a discussion about more configuration improvements for OpenMW after the 0.11.0 release anyway (I would like to propose some more enhancements to the existing system for 0.12.0).

The situation you mentioned is easy to provoke (ran across it accidentally once). Also, the launcher is sometimes writing a config file to the local location instead of the user location, which it should never do (I guess it can also happen that it tries to write to global which would be even more fatal).

I guess we can release the launcher in its current state, but we need to add a warning, telling the user that the config file handling in the launcher is partially broken, that he should only use a single cfg file in the user location and that, if any problems appear, he should start OpenMW directly; bypassing the launcher.

The config handling can then be improved in 0.12.0 when we have integrated lgro's config branch.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Reminder to the builders: I still need the information I asked for in the first posting. I guess I could handle the Linux part myself, if I have too. I could also try to figure out the config file locations from the source for the other platforms. But I rather would have the confirmed data, because with the launcher's configuration problems we can't afford to mess up here. Also, I have absolutely no idea about installing instructions for OS X or Windows (I guess I could look it up for Windows on the download site and see if the package is just an archive or an installer).
We need these information. Without them we can't release.
Ace (SWE)

Post by Ace (SWE) »

Installing the windows version is (so far) as simple as just extracting the archive to somewhere and changing the "data=" path in the config file. I would like to sit down and work on getting CPack packaging working but I'm low on time now that I've just started uni. (Might be able to do some work there though seeing as I'm taking a bachelor in programming)
Zini

Post by Zini »

That needs clarification. There shouldn't even be a local config file alongside the binary in the package. That is only for use by developers. The config file locations for the end user are:

1. global: placed somewhere with the installed application; no idea what that would be for Windows, but since we don't have an installer yet it is irrelevant anyway.

2. user: a directory suitable for per-user settings
Zini

Post by Zini »

Looks like I was mistaking. On Windows there currently is no proper location for the openmw.cfg file so it will always use the local location. And it is okay for now to deliver a pre-defined openmw.cfg file as part of the binary package (I adjusted the readme file accordingly).

But for the next version this needs to change.