Forum migration?

Discuss and help improve OpenMW's infrastructure: Website, Forums, issue tracker and everything having to do with keeping the lights on with OpenMW.
raevol

Forum migration?

Post by raevol »

Hey, so when should we stop posting in the old forum and start posting here? Are we going to try to salvage the old forum at all? And/or should we make the old forum read-only at some point?
Zini

Re: Forum migration?

Post by Zini »

We need to transfer the content of the old forum to this one. It contains important information (not to mention a good part of our project's history) and we can't rely on the old site staying up permanently.

Currently the plan is to do the forum migration last. Don't down how yet.
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Post by lgromanowski »

Zini wrote:We need to transfer the content of the old forum to this one. It contains important information (not to mention a good part of our project's history) and we can't rely on the old site staying up permanently.

Currently the plan is to do the forum migration last. Don't down how yet.
I think it would be better to migrate most important stuff from forum into wiki, because it will be very hard to make same discussion flow like in old forum without same registered users.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Wiki does not sound like the right place. Maybe an archive section in the forum? The archived postings don't need to be posted from the original poster's account as long as the name is retained (if you get what I mean).
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Post by lgromanowski »

Hmm, so maybe we could do something like this:

New forum - "Old forum archive"

subforum - "development" + any other important subforums from old forum.

topic - topic name from old forum, and inside one post with all post from old topic
placed as quotes, so we will have information about users.

What do you think about this?
Zini

Post by Zini »

Sounds reasonable.
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Post by lgromanowski »

OK, I'm starting to copy posts. I think we should "lock" old forum for writing, because there could be a problems with "synchronization".
Zini

Post by Zini »

Shouldn't we take care of the other stuff first? Wiki, skins and such? After all the old forum is still working well enough for the moment.
Zini

Post by Zini »

I don't think I can look the old forum. Guess we have to pin a topic at the top of each forum section that directs users to the new forum.

Edit: Do we have any kind of spam protection for the new forum? Things went rather badly when we had none on the old one. openmw.com was a major target for spammers and I guess same will be true for openmw.org soon too.
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Post by lgromanowski »

Zini wrote:Edit: Do we have any kind of spam protection for the new forum? Things went rather badly when we had none on the old one. openmw.com was a major target for spammers and I guess same will be true for openmw.org soon too.
There are three antispam options in phpbb - standard captcha, recaptcha (if I remember correctly it's provided by google), but I read somewhere that recaptcha can be broken by spammers and should be avoided, and third is a "question captcha" - users need to write answer for some random question. Questions are taken from a list prepared by admins, and it works pretty well (if questions aren't too simple or answer isn't too easy to find in google)