Vivec retexture to show off/test shaders

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
lysol

Re: Vivec retexture to show off/test shaders

Post by lysol »

Btw, new picture uploaded. I think I've found a good way to get good looking normal and specular maps with the crazybump application now. I simply make my texture, then I remove a lot of contrast in stuff that I don't want to "pop out" that much. Import the latter texture to crazybump and export. Looks better than my previous maps.
MithrilLeaf

Post by MithrilLeaf »

lysol wrote:Btw, new picture uploaded. I think I've found a good way to get good looking normal and specular maps with the crazybump application now. I simply make my texture, then I remove a lot of contrast in stuff that I don't want to "pop out" that much. Import the latter texture to crazybump and export. Looks better than my previous maps.
Did you try Awesome Bump at all? I never tried crazybump as I didn't want to pay 50 bucks for bump mapping not being an artist, but awesome worked pretty decent the few times I tried it.
lysol

Post by lysol »

This was strange. The link stopped working. I'll upload it again soon.

EDIT: Now it seems to work again. So well, check the first post.
lysol

Post by lysol »

Video uploaded, link in the first post.
MithrilLeaf wrote: Did you try Awesome Bump at all? I never tried crazybump as I didn't want to pay 50 bucks for bump mapping not being an artist, but awesome worked pretty decent the few times I tried it.
Nope, never heard of. I'll look it up when my free trial runs out. CrazyBump is pretty cool and I would probably buy it for 50 bucks, but since I'm not a student, I need to pay 100 bucks. That sucks.
lysol

Post by lysol »

@Scrawl: Just saw on your Trello page that you just moved the parallax feature to Done. Is it merged yet? Should I be able to use it in the next nightly?

Also, really nice that you're working on the tangent-bug. :)
Capostrophic

Post by Capostrophic »

Yep, it's merged, see github repository commits history. You already can use it with current nightly.
lysol

Post by lysol »

Sorry for spamming you guys. But doing parallax mapping was fun! :D

New video in the first post showing how it looks. I'll release some of the textures soon as an alpha. Most of them will probably change a bit before I release the "1.0" version.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

Looks great! The flickering on the banner should be fixed if you pull the latest code.

Btw, I think the color profiles issue is affecting the normal maps as well, see my last comment on your bug report.
lysol

Post by lysol »

scrawl wrote:Looks great! The flickering on the banner should be fixed if you pull the latest code.
Thanks!
scrawl wrote: Btw, I think the color profiles issue is affecting the normal maps as well, see my last comment on your bug report.
SHIT.

Sorry. :) There's something with the photoshop settings I guess. My wife always works in Adobe RGB with her photographs, but all settings tell me I am working in sRGB. Color profiles give her headaches but she's finally gotten everything to work as they should. Now it is starting to give me headaches instead apparently.

The really strange part here is that the normal maps I sent to you never got through photoshop as far as I remember. I made it with the program CrazyBump. What the hell is going on here...
lysol

Post by lysol »

So, release time!

This is really not done yet, but I want some feedback, so I decided to release it here on the forums. Please look at them and see if something looks strange.

The link is on the first post. Sorry for the choice of file hosting. :roll:

EDIT: Whoops, some instructions might be handy, right? The textures should be placed in "Morrowind/Data Files/Textures". Then to activate the shaders, you need to have the latest nightly installed and edit the settings.cfg-file. Add these rows:

Code: Select all

[Shaders]
auto use object normal maps = true
auto use object specular maps = true
normal map pattern = _n
normal height map pattern = _nh
specular map pattern = _spec
(Or just read a bit here on this page: https://wiki.openmw.org/index.php?title=TextureModding)