Thanks for the great work !

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
coze

Thanks for the great work !

Post by coze »

Hello ladies and gentlemen,

I just joined to say what an awesome project this is, and how much we appreciate your work ! THANK YOU ! :P

I stumbled upon this video a couple of days ago, and suddenly my love for Morrowind re kindled ... 8-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jf0jiOpD-AQ

I played the original game and expansions extensively, sadly I don't think I finished it, though I think I was quite close. :cry:

I had the gtye edition with expansions in my steam account, but after installing it, I found it didn't play nice with win10 ... :roll:

Then I discovered this project, I normally use elementary OS and openMW plays like a breeze there, thank you ! :lol:

One thing I would like to ask, I noticed there was a asset replacement project a while ago, what happened with it ? :?:

https://openmw.org/2014/room-moar/

I realise you can not distribute these assets without getting into legal trouble, is it possible to script the generation of these assets so only the original game owners can create those ? :ugeek:

Thank you ! :mrgreen:
DestinedToDie

Re: Thanks for the great work !

Post by DestinedToDie »

That project died due to owner disappearing and the server containing files going down. Last time I asked Lord_Berandas he told me he still has his files on harddrive, but there wasn´t a whole lot of work done anyway.
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

That's a pity. :( I had the plan to advertise the MOAR project in the next release video.

At least, work on the Example Suite as well as the Template Project accelerates. :)
SeaFox

Post by SeaFox »

DestinedToDie wrote:That project died due to owner disappearing and the server containing files going down. Last time I asked Lord_Berandas he told me he still has his files on harddrive, but there wasn´t a whole lot of work done anyway.
I seem to remember seeing at least part of what was made for that project posted on the Nexus Mods web site for Morrowind. In fact, I believe that if all the mods for Morrowind there are considered, probably every asset in Vanilla Morrowind could be easily replaced by the assets contained within those mods. There may even be mods that do exactly that.

I have been using some mods which replace nearly every vanilla texture in the game, and I have seen others that replace meshes and other assets with more detailed ones. It seems to me that it may be possible to use these mods for other projects. With the permission of the original authors, of course.
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

Yeah. I wasn´t there myself, but I read that when MOAR started, they asked some modders permission to use their stuff that already fit the project.
lysol

Post by lysol »

Feel I should bump this since they talked about the MOAR-project here. Maybe move to a more appropriate thread if this isn't the most obvious? I don't know, so I'm posting here.

I was a Warcraft 3 and later Rome: Total War texturer (mostly, did a few models too, but I'm very slow at it) around ten-twelve years ago. Haven't done anything since. But now, since scrawl implemented the shaders again, I felt I wanted to try it out. Ended up doing three vivec textures with specular and normal mapping, while still trying my best to keep the colors as close to the original as possible.

So some pictures so far:

http://imgur.com/a/l0eNM

I'm thinking about releasing them without any restrictions, but as far as I know it doesn't matter since they are based off of copyrighted textures from bethesda.

I hope I'll have the patience to finish every vivec texture. Then we can se about other textures later.
Amenophis

Post by Amenophis »

@lysol. It's beautiful! Thank you! Keep coming!
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

Oooh. You know what? I'll ninja-edit those screenshots into the newspost. They're pretty!
lysol wrote:I'm thinking about releasing them without any restrictions, but as far as I know it doesn't matter since they are based off of copyrighted textures from bethesda.
Is that really the case, though? Your textures aren't even transformative. They just kinda look alike. What's the limit here?
lysol

Post by lysol »

Okulo wrote:
lysol wrote:I'm thinking about releasing them without any restrictions, but as far as I know it doesn't matter since they are based off of copyrighted textures from bethesda.
Is that really the case, though? Your textures aren't even transformative. They just kinda look alike. What's the limit here?
I think so, I mean, even though I started from the beginning with these, it's like making a copy out of Mona Lisa. You can't just paint your own copy of it and give it away for free (oh wait, you can, because DaVinci has been dead for centuries – but imagine he still was alive today... :roll: ). I believe that theoretically, it would be illegal to do a texture like this and release it to the public, but Bethesda is ok with it as long as it stays in Morrowind since they know modding is good for business. So that means I can't just CC it just cause I want to, cause then people can use it for whatever game they want. Even though I made it, it's still a copy of something they made.

Please tell me I'm wrong, but I don't think I am.

Oh wait. Thanks guys! <3
Berandas

Post by Berandas »

I still actually hope that MOAR project will be brought back to life when OpenMW 1.0 comes out and the number of players and modders increases.

In the meantime I released all my MOAR assets here:
http://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/44057