comparing binary files for finding same values

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
asmo

comparing binary files for finding same values

Post by asmo »

Hello,

I need to locate specific positions that contain values in binary files which are shared by all those files. I wrote a shell script that converts 00b to '00'-string and so on and then compares those strings.
Unfortunately an 1:1 comparison does not do the job because entries are often shuffled.
an example:

Code: Select all

fileA    date1 hellohello date2
fileB    date1 date2 hellohello
fileC    hellohello date2 date1
Obviously comparing the first byte of fileA and fileB will result in b_equal=true. Comparing fileC then will result in b_equal=false although all files contain "date1".

Kompare (using files that contain the string representation), wxHexEditor and okteta (binary files) don't help.

Any idea what I can do here? Is there a tool to do that?
How did you figure out the structure of the Morrowind data files - e.g. of mod files?
Thanks in advance!

asmo

PS: I really don't know much about the structure of those files. There are strings in those files that might be keys/variable_names but it seems to me that the associated values are saved as binary values, so 5 becomes 0x05 which is equal to 0101b. And probably it's not stored like key:value but "key1 key35 key2" because I couldn't find any "fitting" values closeby so they might be somewhere else.
I can create such files (by a program that I did not make) and I tried to find equal values in order to find a structure or such but I failed so far.

In the worst case the values in the files are not stored as 5 (0101b) 1 (0001) but 0x33.