Current state of what we can do

OpenMW's very own demo, template and game to show off everything that OpenMW is capable of.

Moderator: Example suite forum moderator

DestinedToDie

Current state of what we can do

Post by DestinedToDie »

Alrighty. So in case you haven´t experimented with OpenMW-CS yet, it is possible to drag objects from a list and drop them into the scene.

After dropping your object, you can move it around. Rotating/scaling will have to be done in the instance window.

Scripting is perfectly possible. Can also edit Journal and Topics. We can make NPCs that talk, give you lore and quests, then later switch out from Moonboy to a proper NPC model while keeping all of that.

Can do models. Houses, rocks, hostile enemies, clothing, NPC animations, weapons, you name it. In other words, this should be the focus for now.
Last edited by DestinedToDie on 15 Feb 2016, 23:07, edited 3 times in total.
Zini

Re: Current state of what we can do

Post by Zini »

What is the problem with journals and topics? That is supposed to work properly (well, minus missing revert functionality).
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

Oh, my bad. I simply hadn´t figured them out at first and thought they weren´t functional.
johndh

Post by johndh »

You can move, rotate, and scale objects by changing the coordinates numerically. The rotation doesn't seem to correspond to degrees, which has me a bit bewildered, but otherwise it works flawlessly as far as I can tell.
mbiomwcs0.jpg
mbiomwcs1.jpg
johndh

Post by johndh »

In the menu, go to World, then Instances. Then right click on the first column of the instance you want to edit. Other columns will affect different stuff, like the cell the instance is in, or the base object. Out of the drop-down menu, pick Edit Record. View is also useful because it shows you the instance in context.
Attachments
how to edit instances.jpg
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

Wow, didn´t know that. This thread actually turned out to be a pretty useful learning experience.
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

After thinking about it, we essentially have all the tools we need to make a basic game. In my opinion we should wrap the story draft up and populate the Roadmap before 0.39 gets a press release.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

I agree with this. :)
lysol

Post by lysol »

Yay! I almost want to pick up my old modelling skills, but I know I won't have the time for it. Waaay too much stuff at work. And I know how it went the last time I tried (remember the MOAR-project anyone?)
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

Seems we´re getting quite an update with 0.39.

1. 2 crucial bugs involving dropping objects and saving got fixed.
2. We have re-implemented camera modes. Haven´t tried this yet, but the old camera would move if you move an object. And the other camera that wouldn´t move was difficult to pan around with.
3. We can move stuff on scene via mouse. No more inserting numbers.
lysol wrote:And I know how it went the last time I tried (remember the MOAR-project anyone?)
Well, true. But unlike MOAR, this project is a subproject of the OpenMW engine itself and hosted right here. I think as long as the engine lives (and with it getting this far, it won´t just die tomorrow), there will be at least some minor development going on with ES.