Feature 929: Info Verifier

Involved development of the OpenMW construction set.
aesylwinn

Feature 929: Info Verifier

Post by aesylwinn »

The name for this feature is a little broad, so if anyone could share their thoughts, I would appreciate it. The feature only links a bug about conversations.
Cramal

Re: Feature 929: Info Verifier

Post by Cramal »

I think the basic is to check, that every thing that is refered into dialogue is existing.
NatalieN

Post by NatalieN »

For topic infos, it would be very handy to check the validity of any scripting in a response, as well as the info conditions (eg, dead end "choice" trees.)

Not sure if this covers Journal Infos, but if it does, it would be nice if the verifier could check if for each Journal entry only one Journal Info has a quest status of "Name" and at least one Journal Info had a quest status of "Finished"
Zini

Post by Zini »

As discussed before the validity of the info scripts can not be checked reliably, because that validity is determined at run time. Same for the use of local variables as conditions. But every other aspect of the INFO records should be checked.

Edit: Checking journal infos sounds like a good idea too. I didn't think of that initially, but these suggestions make sense. When checking for name, make sure to allow 0 or 1 records, because pre-addon journal entries didn't have names associated with them.
aesylwinn

Post by aesylwinn »

Okay, I think I have a general idea of what needs to be done now. :D
aesylwinn

Post by aesylwinn »

I just wanted to post a short update on the state of this feature. I fell sick about a week ago and have still to fully recover, which has drastically slowed me down. :( I don't really have time to work on this for the next couple days since I'll be catching up on my school work, so its delayed for the weekend.

Anyway, on to the status of what I verify/plan. Topic Infos and Journal Infos are verified separately because there is not really any shared code. However, I am thinking that the other Info type data such as greetings etc. may be able to use the same verifier. I just need to figure out where to access this data. For Topic Infos, I am checking that references are valid for the Actor, Class, Cell, (PC)Faction, Race, and Sound fields. I also check if there is a response and if faction ranks are valid. I might add some more checks after a bit of research. For Journal Infos, I am checking for multiple quests with a status of Name and for quests with repeated indices. Checking for a status of Finished was dropped for reasons mentioned in the pull request (basically, the same reason I don't check if there are no Name infos).
Zini

Post by Zini »

Thanks for the update. It's nice for once to have someone sticking with the verifier tasks and not to drop silently out of the project instead. Considering our previous experience with assigning these tasks to newcomers I was starting to think they are cursed.
aesylwinn

Post by aesylwinn »

I had a couple questions regarding what the valid range is for certain topic info conditions that I was hoping someone knowledgeable on the subject could answer.

For player/actor level, is there some nuance where it would be less than 1?

For skill levels, the game seems to start at a minimum of 5. Is there any case where skill level would be less than 5?

Finally, for the weather condition, after looking at the source I came to the conclusion is should be a value contained by [0,9]. Is that right?
Cramal

Post by Cramal »

For player/actor level, I cannot think of cases where it could be below.

For skill however, the "damage skill" effect can decrease your skill level down to 0, but the "base skill level" will never be below 5. I don't what is tested ni the info conditions.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

I know that the vanilla game has a NPC or creature with level 0.
For skill however, the "damage skill" effect can decrease your skill level down to 0, but the "base skill level" will never be below 5. I don't what is tested ni the info conditions.
It tests for the modified value, so you have a good point.
Finally, for the weather condition, after looking at the source I came to the conclusion is should be a value contained by [0,9]. Is that right?
Correct.