OpenMW support for other games: Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout and more

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
cc9cii

Re: Elder-scrolls IV Oblivion

Post by cc9cii »

simple_water and some Morrowind bushes (don't have speedtree), can't get sky to work properly

DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

What are Morrowind bushes doing in there? Why not Oblivion trees? How are you placing bushes?
Last edited by DestinedToDie on 05 Jan 2016, 21:24, edited 1 time in total.
SquireNed

Post by SquireNed »

What can be done about SpeedTree? It's proprietary, isn't it? How exactly does Oblivion use it: are the trees procedurally generated by SpeedTree at run-time, or is there data that is pre-compiled and it's just in .nif that OpenMW doesn't support? Basically, is it possible to load up that data as part of a natural OpenMW progression, or would there be issues with having to interface with proprietary software at some point?

If we can't in any way work with SpeedTree stuff, could it be replaced by a FOSS solution like Abaro set up to more or less replicate the assets (although there would be obvious visual and collision incompatibilities)? Abaro certainly looks better than noughties SpeedTree, though I don't know if it could output meaningfully to OpenMW. I'm assuming that Bethesda made it so that anywhere you'd be blocked by/walk on/interface with a tree it's a .nif, so there wouldn't be any major game-breakers as a result.
Amenophis

Post by Amenophis »

Semi related:

These water rendering and 3d editing will be incorporated soon to the main OpenCS branch?
cc9cii

Post by cc9cii »

DestinedToDie wrote:What are Morrowind bushes doing in there? Why not Oblivion trees? How are you placing bushes?
simply hard-coded to place flora_bush_01.nif where ever tree references are - whatever resources available for OpenCS can be placed anywhere (I happened to have the Morrowind BSA's in the config file)
SquireNed wrote:What can be done about SpeedTree? It's proprietary, isn't it? How exactly does Oblivion use it: are the trees procedurally generated by SpeedTree at run-time, or is there data that is pre-compiled and it's just in .nif that OpenMW doesn't support? Basically, is it possible to load up that data as part of a natural OpenMW progression, or would there be issues with having to interface with proprietary software at some point?

If we can't in any way work with SpeedTree stuff, could it be replaced by a FOSS solution like Abaro set up to more or less replicate the assets (although there would be obvious visual and collision incompatibilities)? Abaro certainly looks better than noughties SpeedTree, though I don't know if it could output meaningfully to OpenMW. I'm assuming that Bethesda made it so that anywhere you'd be blocked by/walk on/interface with a tree it's a .nif, so there wouldn't be any major game-breakers as a result.
AFAIK everything is generated on the fly, there are no tree nif files that I can see
cc9cii

Post by cc9cii »

Amenophis wrote:Semi related:

These water rendering and 3d editing will be incorporated soon to the main OpenCS branch?
All this stuff is still Ogre (this branch is off 0.36.0) so unfortunately somebody will have to port all that into the master.

EDIT: just to add - any such thing will have be post 1.0
SquireNed

Post by SquireNed »

cc9cii wrote:AFAIK everything is generated on the fly, there are no tree nif files that I can see
Bah, and my bet is that the compiled SpeedTree models are in binary, so there wouldn't even be a way to read their values if one were to replace it with an open source analogue, so all the trees would have to be redone by hand.
cc9cii

Post by cc9cii »

Some fun with fraps

https://youtu.be/dxrCFlT_Nrg
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Just tested glc... which pretty well with openmw and linux:
http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/glc.html

glc-capture openmw --skip-menu

press shift-f8 to begin recording, then again to stop.

you can play it back with glc-play openmw-30352-0.glc where 30352-0 can be something else.
ezze

Post by ezze »

glc works fairly well. It is indeed a pity that is not under development anymore :(

But you might want to try also SimpleScreenRecorder, today is my favourite. Too bad I have nothing to record.