OpenMW 0.37.0 faster than 0.36.0 but loosing quality

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
Spartan195

OpenMW 0.37.0 faster than 0.36.0 but loosing quality

Post by Spartan195 »

As title says. I just installed the 37 version of openMW which has provided me Ace (SWE) in one of his posts.viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1808
Before i was playing in the 36 version with some lag but with antistropic, beautiful shadows and view distand, and the lighning is better (in my opinion)

Why in 0.37.0 there are not the options to set the shadow resolution, the water effect details, and some other options that the previous version have?
dsds.jpg
Here you can see the shadow diference and the options difference

If there's a way to put those options in 37 i will be very greatful
Automatik

Re: OpenMW 0.37.0 faster than 0.36.0 but loosing quality

Post by Automatik »

The shadows are not implemented yet for the osg port. Neither are the object shaders.
It'll have to wait after 0.37 since that release is already very late.
0.37 does have water shaders and anisotropic filtering. There is no option for what to reflect in the water, everything is reflected.
Also It's a bit more =https://openmw.org/2015/openscenegraph ... e/faithful to vanilla morrowind than 0.36. For example NPCs are horizontally scaled like in vanilla, and it has better transparency.
The fps meter is gone, it has been replaced by Osg's profiler thingy (F3) which has a lot more features.

(Note that I'm not a OpenMW developer, I may be wrong on some stuff)
lysol

Post by lysol »

As stated above, everything isn't fullt implemented yet. Switching an engine is a huge task which has taken scrawl months of hard work. The worse graphics is only temporary. They will get better when features get implemented and eventually better than on 0.36.
Spartan195

Post by Spartan195 »

Automatik wrote:The shadows are not implemented yet for the osg port. Neither are the object shaders.
It'll have to wait after 0.37 since that release is already very late.
0.37 does have water shaders and anisotropic filtering. There is no option for what to reflect in the water, everything is reflected.
Also It's a bit more =https://openmw.org/2015/openscenegraph ... e/faithful to vanilla morrowind than 0.36. For example NPCs are horizontally scaled like in vanilla, and it has better transparency.
The fps meter is gone, it has been replaced by Osg's profiler thingy (F3) which has a lot more features.

(Note that I'm not a OpenMW developer, I may be wrong on some stuff)
Thanks for the info, i will be waiting for more updates!