Impressive performance with OSG engine

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
edmondo

Impressive performance with OSG engine

Post by edmondo »

I'm totally impressed of the new performance reached with the new OSG engine! THANKS :D

On my configuration (AMD Phenom(tm) II X3 720 Processor, AMD Radeon HD5850 (Evergreen), Mesa r600g driver) I get more then 5x more FPS!

In Balmora before with Ogre: 15-20 FPS
In Balmora now with OSF: 80-100 FPS

Here a screenshot for the unbelievers:
Balmora, OSG, AMD Radeon HD5850, Mesa r600g
Balmora, OSG, AMD Radeon HD5850, Mesa r600g
I've also updated my crappy Gentoo ebuild overlay, just in case...
https://github.com/edmondo/openmw-overlay
DanielCoffey

Re: Impressive performance with OSG engine

Post by DanielCoffey »

It is good, isn't it. Remember that Ogre was displaying shaders, distance and shadows which are not in OSG yet.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Correction, distance is in OSG.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3003&start=150#p34177

^-- This is 18 loaded cells at once to render just a part of Oahu, on an Intel chipset at about 70fps. To give perspective, Moonboy is about a 500m above the the surface there, he isn't just "standing' on the ground.
Gramblosh

Post by Gramblosh »

Another comparison to get an idea about the change:
Playing Morrowind with the vanilla engine on Windows, I get FPS in the range of 70 to 100 (exterior) bit more, bit less depending on the area I am in (Balmora is always comparably bad). With OpenMW-Ogre (virtually everything off) on Ubuntu and with the same setup FPS were in the same range as the Vanilla Engine + MGE XE (distant land, grass, tweaked water shader, reflections, etc., almost everything on), even a little below. OpenMW-OSG (everything off) on Ubuntu is constantly in the three digit range and I have seen values up to 200+ FPS (exterior), which I have never seen in an exterior using the vanilla engine (maybe with vanilla assets, haven't tried that in ages, almost decades).

Now adding more eye-candy costs but there is at least something to take from, in OpenMW-Ogre virtually everything rendered the game unplayable (like an insane 12 FPS in Seyda Neen). Usually, Morrowind is well playable (enjoyable) at low FPS, ~25 FPS is okay, everything above 30 is sort of a waste cause there is hardly a benefit, but below 20 it starts getting ugly.
dontpokethebear3893

Post by dontpokethebear3893 »

Are these benchmarks with the Openmw Nightly builds? or compiled from scratch from github?
edmondo

Post by edmondo »

dontpokethebear3893 wrote:Are these benchmarks with the Openmw Nightly builds? or compiled from scratch from github?
My test was done with following commit in the git repository master branch:

Code: Select all

commit 3046795a9c1197ed7fc9766fe78de84e37da1672
Author: Marc Zinnschlag <[email protected]>
Date:   Sat Aug 8 11:01:08 2015 +0200
Berandas

Post by Berandas »

So, I gave it a try again, using the recent nightly. The game runs smooth, but it's hard to judge the FPS performance with all the shaders turned off. I got my usual low FPS while walking through the streets of Balmora. My heavily modded setup appears to be less flawed ccompared to the past, although some new errors appeared.
Here is everything I spotted:

Mods not working correctly:

Abot Boats 1.1.5 - ab01boship21act has it's sail in opposite orientation, boats have wrong orientation during travel
Abot Gondoliers 1.0.9 - Gondoliers are spawned underwater.
Abot Silt Striders 1.1.4 - Siltstrider has wrong orientation during travel and the PC is invisible
Abot Water Life 1.2.1 - I think there are too many creatures spawning on the land, also some water creatures are not moving from their spawn location
Abot Where are all birds going 1.1.7 - Birds are very often stuck in the air, but here I am not sure if it's the actual OpenMW bug
Animated Morrowind - merged 1.0 - Animations don't work, sitting NPCs are standing, etc.
Baron's Partners 3.0 - NPCs are naked and some script errors are logged in the console
Hold it 1.92 - NPCs holds some items in a wrong way, the broom is floating around for example
Windows Glow Expansion 1.11 - Windows are duplicated and have wrong orientation
Vurts trees - falling leaves particles appears without texture
SirLuthor's journeyman's lockpick mesh now appears as dummy mesh, although it was working fine in previous versions.
Animated containers (probably) makes the chargen containers on the ship not disappear and for some reason chargen_plank as well
some candles (I'm using some mesh replacers, MGSO probably) are missing wax textures, although both the mesh and texture (.dds) appears to be okay

General errors:

Incorrect alpha sorting for tree billboards (leaves) when looking from underwater and transparent bottles floating in water, when looking from above
weather changes immediately with the cell change
light issues - some tiles are being lit, some are shaded, resulting in contrast seams
cursor is stretched
NPCs are often walking into walls or each other
missing wilderness terrain - when you swim far away from the land, there is no seabed

That's what I spotted so far. Anyways, you guys are doing great job.
Gramblosh

Post by Gramblosh »

Berandas wrote:Animated containers (probably) makes the chargen containers on the ship not disappear and for some reason chargen_plank as well
That sounds pretty much like a mod related vanilla bug, it happens when mods use the chargen models for the plank and crates instead of the normal models.
Berandas

Post by Berandas »

The only error I can see in vanilla is that there is a reflection of the chargen containers in the water, probably because of MGE, but all chargen containers are properly disabled. In OpenMW they're not.