OpenMW Game Template

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Re: OpenMW Game Template

Post by psi29a »

Hate to see you go, but thank you very much for your work thus far!

Any hope that we'll see you come back in the future?
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

I've been emailing Leon Van Der Stadt and he has agreed to help with unique music for OpenMW's logo, film logo that is. That is the "company_logo.bik" that we can, thanks to ffmpeg, be "openmw_logo.mp4"... so now we need someone that can create a snazzy movie/film logo for OpenMW. :)

Just a stab... we could have this:
were the gear is spinning and the OpenMW text fades in? If other people have any ideas or want a shot at creating the small film, please do!
Chris

Post by Chris »

psi29a wrote:That is the "company_logo.bik" that we can, thanks to ffmpeg, be "openmw_logo.mp4"...
company_logo.webm *cough* ;) MPEG has those horrible patent issues..
Just a stab... we could have this:
were the gear is spinning and the OpenMW text fades in? If other people have any ideas or want a shot at creating the small film, please do!
Eh, personally I think that icon is a bit too close the Moon-and-Star icon that signifies Morrowind. I think something a bit more game-neutral would be better.
Mistahtokyo

Post by Mistahtokyo »

Chris wrote:Eh, personally I think that icon is a bit too close the Moon-and-Star icon that signifies Morrowind. I think something a bit more game-neutral would be better.
While something more neutral would indeed be better, it would be nice to have some throwback to Morrowind in there, as a tribute to the project's roots.
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

psi29a wrote:Any hope that we'll see you come back in the future?
Unfortunately not. I'm off to model houses, trees, rocks, creatures. The next time I touch the anim files is probably somewhere post 1.0. I'll be making my own ones for the game I'm making, which means no more updates on these - at least by me. I'm really hoping someone picks them up. Or better yet, makes them from scratch.

There's certainly drive to do the template project. I'm sure that within the year someone will do them.
Penultima

Post by Penultima »

Perhaps have a full moon with a gear overlaid, with the gear spinning while the moon stays in place. Maybe the gear could be star-shaped somehow?
Chris

Post by Chris »

Mistahtokyo wrote:While something more neutral would indeed be better, it would be nice to have some throwback to Morrowind in there, as a tribute to the project's roots.
My main concern is with things like trademarks. We don't want people confusing OpenMW as an engine with Morrowind, and if someone decides to build a game completely separate from Morrowind, they'd want to replace the icon anyway so that it's not perceived as some kind of Morrowind-related thing. Having a more game-neutral logo works better as a template resource since it means more projects can use it as-is to denote OpenMW, and not get implicitly tied to Morrowind.
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

Or webm ;)

So now we're also talking about an official OpenMW Icon/Logo that is specific to the project and doesn't touch Morrowind. I see that as a good step forward actually. :)

@DestinedToDie: good luck and success! Thank you for all your help!
DocClox

Post by DocClox »

Penultima wrote:Perhaps have a full moon with a gear overlaid, with the gear spinning while the moon stays in place. Maybe the gear could be star-shaped somehow?
That was my first thought. It would keep a call-back to the projects roots without treading too closely on Bethesda's toes.

How about mirroring the moon in the proposed screen so there's one either side of the cog/star? That gives

Actually, if you do that, there's an argument for making the full-moon-and-cog into the initial "O" in a new OpenMW logo. Not that there's anything wrong with the existing one, I hasten to add - just that it would give a bit of thematic consistency. You could even have an opening clip that shows the moon-and-cog and then zooms out to reveal it as the initial "O" in the project name.

Just ideas anyway. Anything would be good :)
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

Using new night sky dome NIF with super high-res night shot of Taurus celestial body:
screenshot017.png