Launcher's Data Files suggestions

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
Okulo

Launcher's Data Files suggestions

Post by Okulo »

Tes96 posted two suggestions on the Beth forums for the Data Files portion of the launcher:

1. Hovering the cursor over a plugin shows a nice tooltip with all kinds of metadata, but it lacks Created and Modified dates, which could be useful for discovering which plugin needs to be loaded before which. (I'm not sure how much this would help seeing as the launcher already alerts the user to missing dependencies.)

2. Multiselect, ie. holding control or shift to select multiple plugins so they can be dragged around at the same time.

Thoughts?
Zini

Re: Launcher's Data Files suggestions

Post by Zini »

I guess we would only want the modification date for #1. The creation date stamp sounds kinda useless.

Mind filing issues on the tracker for both features?
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

Will do, thanks.
Tes96

Post by Tes96 »

Thanks, Okulo. I think you're right on the Modified dates not affecting the load order. If you know mod #2 should load after mod #3 but before mod #1, then you can do that manually in the Launcher. Knowing the dates is irrelevant in OpenMW. I think I was clinging to the notion that OpenMW Launcher is like Wrye Mash, which sorts the load order based on Last Modified dates. But it doesn't since you can do it yourself. Still, knowing the last Modified dates would be a nice bit of information to know about a mod.

But being able to CTRL or SHIFT single or column of mods at once would be great.

A checkbox at the very top would be great to select or deselect all mods. Like how email has a box at the very top to select everything. That would be very helpful because say I have 200+ mods selected and actively running and I want to test one mod by itself in vanilla Morrowind. Well, to do that, I'd have to deselect all 200+ mods in that list, except the one I wanted to test. Having a checkbox at the top (like in email) would make this much less tedious by checking that box to deselect everything and then you could select which mod you wanted to test.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

A checkbox at the very top would be great to select or deselect all mods. Like how email has a box at the very top to select everything. That would be very helpful because say I have 200+ mods selected and actively running and I want to test one mod by itself in vanilla Morrowind. Well, to do that, I'd have to deselect all 200+ mods in that list, except the one I wanted to test. Having a checkbox at the top (like in email) would make this much less tedious by checking that box to deselect everything and then you could select which mod you wanted to test.
Why don't you just create a new profile for that specific test? That has the advantage you can switch back easily to your old setup by switching back to the old profile. Given that, I don't see a need for a select all button.
Tes96

Post by Tes96 »

scrawl wrote:
Why don't you just create a new profile for that specific test? That has the advantage you can switch back easily to your old setup by switching back to the old profile. Given that, I don't see a need for a select all button.
And what if you're constantly switching and removing and adding mods? That takes more work what you're describing. Having a select all checkbox is simple to use; you just click it once; takes less than a second. Is it difficult to add into the Launcher?

Or, being able to highlight all and check one box, thus having all checked, would be good functionality as well. Most modern programs function like that.
Zini

Post by Zini »

"Select All" and "Clear Selection" items in the context menu. Easy.
dteviot

Post by dteviot »

@Zini
Zini wrote:"Select All" and "Clear Selection" items in the context menu. Easy.
Please clarify, which context menu are you talking about?
Tes96

Post by Tes96 »

dteviot wrote:@Zini
Zini wrote:"Select All" and "Clear Selection" items in the context menu. Easy.
Please clarify, which context menu are you talking about?
I don't know what the context menu is but I was referring to the Data Files section that lists all the mods.
Zini

Post by Zini »

The content file selector is supposed to get a context menu (on right click). Apparently that hasn't happen yet. The content file selector (and to some extend the whole launcher) is still kinda in the middle of a renovation.