OSG and opencs

Involved development of the OpenMW construction set.
cc9cii

OSG and opencs

Post by cc9cii »

Well, only been away a little while and so much has happened! In fact opencs is no longer called opencs any more!

Anyhow, what do we do with various graphics tasks? Wait till OSG port is completed in openmw? Or develop with Ogre then port later?

OSG looks nice, but no directx :-(
scrawl

Re: OSG and opencs

Post by scrawl »

Or develop with Ogre then port later?
Definitely this. OpenCS is at the very end of the porting roadmap. We will likely have Ogre and OSG coexisting for a long time, with the former being still used in OpenCS.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

Update to your question: I decided to start with OpenCS, since it's much easier to get running than OpenMW and provides me a nice testing platform for developing the NIF loader and other components.
It's more or less functional now, cell rendering and preview rendering works, minus terrain, pathgrid, and a few other missing bits. I think it would be best to move all OpenCS rendering development to the OSG branch at this point, once I clean it up and push (this evening, hopefully)

The navigation stuff was removed and replaced with OSG's inbuilt camera manipulators. Seems to work much better than the old navigation controls anyway. Namely the camera is auto-centered on the scene bounds, I remember in the old OpenCS having an interior cell far away from the origin would leave you staring at a void. I find the new controls more feature rich and intuitive too. I think the best way to move forward is to roll with the OSG manipulator classes and extend them when needed.

The physics system was removed, the plan is to use OSG's intersection tests for mouse picking, so bullet won't be needed.

Cell marker rendering was removed, I don't think there's anything reusable in there. Best to start from scratch.
raevol

Post by raevol »

Wow, nicely done.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Great work!

Would you say that this will land in 0.36 or 0.37? I'm looking at this from a packagers perspective. :)
cc9cii

Post by cc9cii »

All my contributions got wiped out in one fell swoop :shock:
Zini

Post by Zini »

This is moving forward slightly faster than I anticipated. I have two questions now:

1. What is the minimum version of OSG required? I have an openscenegraph package on my package manager, marked as 3.0.1. Will that be sufficient or is a custom build required? Also, there don't seem to be a dev-package, which is a bit weird.

2. Would it make sense to keep the OSG version of OpenMW-CS in a separate branch for now? Apparently there are issues with OSG packaging. Considering that in its current state the OSG is actually somewhat of a downgrade and that we are unlikely to see any substantial 3D work on OpenMW-CS for 0.36.0 anyway, it might make sense to keep 0.36.0 OGRE-only. Of course that only applies if we do not get a complete OSG port ready for 0.36.0.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Try installing libopenscenegraph-dev, that should fix you right up.

You have precise, which is 3.0.1

I would suggest you upgrade to trusty, which is now a year old but with 3.2.0 of OSG. :)
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

Not going into the main branch anytime soon, due to the fact that OpenMW doesn't build. I didn't bother to add backwards compatibility when I changed BSA, NIF and other components to the new interfaces (not that it would be difficult to do though). For simplicity my idea was to move to the main branch once Ogre has been removed completely. Having multiple rendering engines in a single release would be messy from a packaging standpoint.

I'm working with OSG 3.2 from the ubuntu repositories. Feel free to try if it works with 3.0, I have no idea.