omwlauncher bugs

Everything about development and the OpenMW source code.
Zini

Re: omwlauncher bugs

Post by Zini »

Sounds good to me.
dteviot

Post by dteviot »

Would it be worthwhile asking raevol to make mention of this part of the launcher in his release notes, with mention that we'd really like feedback on it?
Zini

Post by Zini »

I wouldn't hurt, but honestly I don't expect too much from user feedback here. The issue would mostly affect people new to MW and power user (actually doing power using).
Rumina

Post by Rumina »

My thoughts on this as a typical Elder Scrolls player.

Most people who put some time into a TES game and looking to try OpenMW are at least somewhat familiar with the data files system. I find the single list system to be a lot more comfortable and simpler.

That said I do like the concise list displaying the selected files on the right. Perhaps there might be merit to the 2 list system as well. But I don't really feel this display is any simpler (as it looks right now) than the normal one.

I guess my only addition I recommend here is if you go with the single list system, you could leave text above the box saying "Select plug-in files to load". Select could also be changed out with Check. This would bring some of the clarity of the 2 list system to the single list.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Fancy idea (admittedly ripped of from another idea scrawl suggested earlier): Have both a single list mode (as currently implemented) and a double list mode, that the user can choose between.
lysol

Post by lysol »

Zini wrote:Fancy idea (admittedly ripped of from another idea scrawl suggested earlier): Have both a single list mode (as currently implemented) and a double list mode, that the user can choose between.
I like this idea very much.
dteviot

Post by dteviot »

Zini wrote:Fancy idea (admittedly ripped of from another idea scrawl suggested earlier): Have both a single list mode (as currently implemented) and a double list mode, that the user can choose between.
Speaking as the naive n00b who foolishly agreed to maintain the launcher code. Here's my thoughts:
  • Definitely doable.
  • This would increase the complexity of the existing launcher code, and probably involve at least some code duplication.
  • Oh <insert deity of choice here>, No!!
  • Incidentally, I mostly agree with Scrawl, I think the single list is preferable to the dual list. (Although I do concede that Zini has valid points.)
My latest thought on how to deal with the "selected vs checked" problem might be to turn the list into a Grid (actually it already IS a grid, it's just displayed as a list) with explicit Load, Order, and Filename columns. (The Load column holds the check box). And just select the grid cell the user clicks. i.e. if user clicks on a filename, only the filename is highlighted. The load and order cells of the row are not selected.

Anyway, at this point in time, solving this is not my first priority. I think we get more benefit from my time by my solving
  • #2344 (fix has been supplied, but needs more work. Hopefully will finish it this weekend.)
  • #2346 (fix has been supplied, but has not been approved, presumably because I mixed it with #2344)
  • #1916 (I know it's not the launcher, but I'm sick of working on the launcher, do not enjoy it, and I'm pretty sure I've figured out the one line code change needed to fix this.)
  • #2315 (Because we probably do need a GUI for the save game importer, ASAP.)
pvdk

Post by pvdk »

I've been going over this thread and I would suggest the following behaviour in the launcher:

- Keep the single list-based view
- Double click checks/unchecks the item (like how it used to be before the model rewrite and how it behaves in latest master.
- Disable (grey out) items which dependencies are not checked
- Add a context menu to check/uncheck multiple selected plugins or check/uncheck the dependencies of the selected plugin
Tes96

Post by Tes96 »

Would it be possible to have the Launcher function like Wrye Mash? It already creates a load order, which does away with one aspect of a third party program. In addition to that, having the OpenMW launcher clean mods and clean saved-games, like this, would be a tremendous help to people. What do you think, Zini?
Zini

Post by Zini »

We should keep the launcher as simple as possible. At most we could provide a more functions to suggest load orders. But first we need to sort out the basic UI.