My thoughts so far...

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
Azlidor

My thoughts so far...

Post by Azlidor »

Hello everybody(:

It's been a while since I have last posted on here and just wanted to say a few things. OpenMW has gotten quite the downward eye due to Skywind and Morroblivion. I've done quite a bit of research on both of those projects and tried both of those mods out. I know that they are in Alpha/Beta respectively but with that said, I don't feel the same feeling as I had when playing Morrowind. Of course the graphics, physics, and work they've put into those works are quite bodacious. Perhaps those games will be a ton of fun to play, but I am most excited for OpenMW for multiple reasons.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not hating on those two projects. It just seems that while the other projects probably have good intentions, OpenMW is the only project that still feels like the same experience with slight improvements to buggy mechanics. I feel like the OpenMW team is holding true to the game that we love without attempting to incorporate it into a different game that was never meant to have the same feel or immersion.

So here is a huge thanks to all of you who have contributed in any way to the project, and I look forward to the upcoming 1.0 release! As was my prior plan (Providing I have your approval to do so!) I will absolutely be launching a Let's Play the day that 1.0 releases! More than likely this will mean daily uploads on top of my YouTube schedule until I feel my character has run it's course. I also look forward to watching anybody else who chooses to LP this great project!
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Re: My thoughts so far...

Post by psi29a »

Azlidor wrote: OpenMW has gotten quite the downward eye due to Skywind and Morroblivion.
What does this mean exactly? As a native speaker (including help from google), I haven't a clue. The closest I can get is 'shame' because of behaviour patterns in humans who look down when scolded or next best guess.. too look down one's nose at something, referring to disdain. Is this what you were shooting for?

OpenMW isn't a mod, it is a fully featured game engine.
HiPhish

Post by HiPhish »

Morroblivion and Skywind are Oblivion and Skyrim taking place in the region of Morrowind and having the same story as Morrowind. OpenMW on the other hand is Morrowind. That's also why OpenMW is not a mod, it's a new engine for an existing game.
Azlidor

Post by Azlidor »

You both are correct. In fact I never called OpenMW a mod. I cite OpenMW as a project, and Morroblivion/Skywind as mods. With that said, this is why I stated that I was most excited for this project because it IS the actual game, and not bound by the limitations of the other two game's engines.
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

Yeah, it's a whole different kind of project, isn't it? The reason I'm an OpenMW fan myself is because

1. Not pretentious
2. Transparent and open
3. Nearly unrestricted

There is an honesty in this project that I do not see in others. OpenMW is upfront with what it can and cannot do. This is especially relevant since those other projects are limited by the original engine and they just don't seem to tell us, because muh PR.
robcbwilson

Post by robcbwilson »

Totally agree with everything you said Okulo, especially your second point.

For me, Open MW is one of the most transparent and open projects I have ever been involved with. The regular, clear and honest updates are brilliant. The bug tracker is excellent and allows you to easily see exactly what is going on in detail.

The scope of what is possible once OpenMW is 1.0 is also tremendously exciting. I can't wait :)