Wow, just saw the trailer. Is OpenMW playable yet?

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
Moromaster

Wow, just saw the trailer. Is OpenMW playable yet?

Post by Moromaster »

Like probably thousands of other lurkers, I've been watching the progress of OpenMW since nearly the start. Every six months or so, I check this page, and Tamriel Rebuilt. After seeing the trailer for 0.34, I'm impressed! You guys have done something extrodinary, this game was a major part of my childhood and you guys are building a future for it.

I'm currently running Ubuntu so it's pretty exciting to see that it's compatible. The only question is, should I play it now? Or wait? Is there much mod compatibility? Are there mods that I should add, and mods that I should not?

Cheers, and keep up the good work. This webpage is probably going to crash from badwidth when you guys release the finished product.
Moromaster

Re: Wow, just saw the trailer. Is OpenMW playable yet?

Post by Moromaster »

Or for the moment, would I be better off playing MW though wine?
dEnigma

Post by dEnigma »

There is a wiki page concerning mod compatibility, but since it's pretty new there are a lot of mods that haven't been tested yet: https://wiki.openmw.org/index.php?title=Mod_status

Of course you are welcome to test more mods, it would certainly be helpful to the OpenMW developers.

Personally I find OpenMW to be very playable on Windows, just a few weeks ago I completed the base game and Tribunal main quests with OpenMW and despite some minor bugs (most or all of which are fixed by now) it worked perfectly (only played the first couple quest of Bloodmoon, haven't found the time to complete it yet). Some things, e.g. Lustidrike the scamp, work even better than in vanilla ;)

If you're going to use a lot of mods you might run into some annoying bugs though (not talking about simple texture/mesh replacers, they should work fine). If you stick with the ones already tested on the wiki page and simple replacers you should be fine :mrgreen:
Moromaster

Post by Moromaster »

Sounds good to me!

Do you know much about installing Morrowind onto a Linux system? My laptop doesn't have a disk drive so I used my office's computer to put the .Iso onto a usb drive. Beyond that, I really have no idea how to install. I've already bought the damn game more than five times, so I'm not too keen on getting it again from Steam.
dEnigma

Post by dEnigma »

Moromaster wrote:Do you know much about installing Morrowind onto a Linux system? My laptop doesn't have a disk drive so I used my office's computer to put the .Iso onto a usb drive. Beyond that, I really have no idea how to install. I've already bought the damn game more than five times, so I'm not too keen on getting it again from Steam.
Well, if you're going to use OpenMW: the OpenMW wizard should handle all the installation magic for Linux, though I don't really have any experience with it, since I haven't tried OpenMW on Linux yet (or Morrowind for that matter). But since a large portion of OpenMW users are on Linux I'm sure someone on this forum can help you :mrgreen:
Moromaster

Post by Moromaster »

I'm definitely going to need some help. I just installed Morrowind via mounting it and using wine. But it appears that linux doesn't have any sort of /program files directory, so I can't even find out where I actually installed it to!

EDIT: Got Morrowind working on Wine. Now what should I do? :D
dEnigma

Post by dEnigma »

Hope this is up-to-date: https://wiki.openmw.org/index.php?title ... structions

edit: Also note that you don't have to install Morrowind in Wine for OpenMW to get the files, since the wizard should be able to take care of that.
Tinker

Post by Tinker »

Yes installing on Linux is generally fairly easy, OpenMW is in most repositories and it is supposed to be able to extract the data from the cd or usb in your case, I have not tested that as I have set of data files that I drop in if I ever do a clean install.

As for mods, there are more that work than are listed on the wiki page, but not everyone gives feedback, so any help would be appreciated by all. If you are not confident with editing wki pages you can just PM test results to me and I will see it gets added.

As for playing just try it and see what you think, already you will find some exploits and bugs of the original are fixed and there are only a few features missing which you probably will not notice, but feedback on missing features and bugs will help move things on.

Have fun.
Moromaster

Post by Moromaster »

Can't extract the readme.txt apparently?
Moromaster

Post by Moromaster »

If I could get some help with this, it'd be awesome. I cannot extract the readme file.