Wiki page for Mods

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
onionland

Re: Wiki page for Mods

Post by onionland »

ezze wrote:Exactly, lovely. I agree with onionland that the background should be transparent, but it is really minor.
The rest of the icons he made are transparent, he just forgot to make this one transparent as well for some reason or another.
Tinker

Post by Tinker »

He is a she but I do not expect you to know that and it is of even less importance the the image background. I did update it to the transparent background yesterday but it seemed to take a long time to update.

More important is the daily checking of bug status for currently not working mods and testing of more mods, which is probably best done after 0.34 release is final, lots of mod bug fixing seems to have happened,
Magecoerlin

Post by Magecoerlin »

Is everyone testing mods by just running the single mod and playing a lot? I'm asking because I'd like to contribute in some way to this project if I can.
Tinker

Post by Tinker »

I think different people use different methods, but I usually try to load it in OpenCS first to check the validation of the scripts. Afterwards I run just the one mod with several crash test dummies that I have saved games for at various levels and different places. If all goes well then I start testing with other mods that might conflict, especially ones that have a compatability mod to get over potential problems.

But any testing is valuable for other users provided you clearly state what problems you find, creating bug reports is a great help for getting several mods fixed as if one mod uses some function you can guarantee that another one will. Idealy of course you can give it a report that it works as expected.
robcbwilson

Post by robcbwilson »

I started testing by just trying to launch OpenMW with all my mods loaded and working out what failed. This has uncovered a few bugs which I raised with the bug tracker. I am now looking at mods that are easy to validate (they either work or don't and it is obvious). If I manage to get through all simple the mods I have loaded, I will start with a base install of Morrowind and test mods one at a time.
claudekennilol

Post by claudekennilol »

I'd love to be able to test out some mods now that openmw is in a much more stable place (I still want the functions added by MWSE/MWE to be added for complete mod compatibility, though). But I'm so busy with everything else going on that I doubt I'll be able to find the time to do it. I've got a huge list of mods that I've got (well, had, I haven't booted up morrowind in a few years :( ) always on that I could run through.

One thing that will be the crowning achievement of openmw, for me, is if it'll let me play through Qarl's The Underground 2. I've always wanted to play through it, but it would never let me finish due to the "three days bug" that triggered after some certain spot towards the start of the mod--after that it was just a countdown to the save crashing.

I've got a huge repository of mods that I consider standard. Most of them are just simple replacers and I suspect they'll work fine. Others only time will tell.
Tinker

Post by Tinker »

Any info on working or even not yet working mods will be a great help to all users and of course for devs looking to implement missing feature and squash bugs.

As you say most direct replacers should work but there are a few exceptions still.

If the three day bug you mention is what is also called the 72 hour bug, where goods in containers revert to the dead owners then that should not be a problem, it was never in OpenMW.

Best suggestion is load OpenMW and check out some of the mods, you may be happily surprised, a whole list of mod breaking bugs have been fixed in 0.34.
claudekennilol

Post by claudekennilol »

Tinker wrote:Any info on working or even not yet working mods will be a great help to all users and of course for devs looking to implement missing feature and squash bugs.

As you say most direct replacers should work but there are a few exceptions still.

If the three day bug you mention is what is also called the 72 hour bug, where goods in containers revert to the dead owners then that should not be a problem, it was never in OpenMW.

Best suggestion is load OpenMW and check out some of the mods, you may be happily surprised, a whole list of mod breaking bugs have been fixed in 0.34.
I don't know what caused it in the underground. I know about the garbage cleanup after 72 hours and I know it's got to be somewhat related, but it's probably more script-based as it's a rather large mod. Here's something I found with some quick googling. I don't know if those fixes ever made it into the released version or not, but maybe you can look at the description/fix and see if it's something openmw has already resolved.

http://www.rpgmods.com/smf/index.php?topic=253.0;wap2
Tinker

Post by Tinker »

OK this is a different bug, or set of bugs, there seem to be several versions of this mod around with various bug fixes, The latest version is possibly the most reliable, but no guarantees on that. It does seem that people ran out of steam patching it a couple of years ago.

The first thing with a mod of this size would be to load it in OpenCS and run a validity check this will give you a quick idea if all the scripts it uses are using functions that are available now in OpenMW and all the other assets are correct. There is still no guarantee it will run correctly if nothing shows up wrong in the validity test but you can be certain it will not run correctly yet if it throws hundreds of errors. I was going to do this step myself but seeing a 600MB+ zip file stopped me, not knowing if it was the best version did not help but I have sever bandwidth problems.
dramakon

Post by dramakon »

The latest version is here: http://mw.modhistory.com/download-44-14239 It includes a few file fixes an updated esp you can produce through xdelta. Hardly accessible.
Looking at huskobar's patch project thread http://mw.modhistory.com/download-44-14239 it seems the 72 hour bug was fixed (patch was made in 2009, bug fix was posted in 2005). I can't see the changelog for patches 1-4 but 5-7 include:
- commented-out 'PositionCell' statements in some scripts which seems to have resulted in more stability re: Vladir's Crypt, travel to Amanda's from Vos, perhaps travel past the spikes as well
- for whatever reason, spiders in Balmora sewer have not crashed for me lately
- code added to SCUGLadder (A1ladder) which prevents ladder movement until ordinators are dead
- journal update created for retrieval of Quixoquinet amulet
- for whatever reason, I get no 'jitter dance' from Synda/Johnny in The Underground any more
- added dialogue entry which allows Johnny to advance past Prudance's guard (when Johnny not near)
- other fixes, most pertaining to journal updates
- minor dialogue changes

- Marpha
- Jym Cowen
- Spider Factory TNT
- Null Deacon
- Mannec (still tough, but should be more manageable)
- the spike fall
- Orange Poramous force field (after fix, I do seem to get the right greeting from Fram Daken)
- post-fairies crash
- Vos crash
- a few other tweaks

- Ordinators in Abaesen-Pulu Egg Mine
- Fagrath
- Ring of Awareness capabilities
- Amanda's shack door
- Kalnoris manor door
- Redemption in Googoo-Booboo
- Zalen Halzax mannequin
- 'running-dialogue' messageboxes
- Smiley's greeting