OpenMW 0.34.0

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
cc9cii

Re: OpenMW 0.34.0

Post by cc9cii »

Would you be able to try your monitor's native resolution when selecting the full screen mode? As stated in the report if you start in windowed mode OpenMW does not crash.
ElderTroll

Post by ElderTroll »

@cc

This time I was able to select windowed mode. It did resize. The cursor was still visible, the music continued playing, but the screen went black and this error message popped up "OGRE EXCEPTION(3:RendingAPIException): Cannot reset device! in D3D9RenderWindow::reset at"
cc9cii

Post by cc9cii »

Looks like the same crash as the bug report. Original discussion for reference here: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2207&start=64
ElderTroll

Post by ElderTroll »

@cc
Having a look on the roadmap for Ogre 2.0 Final the Ogre team will remove support for D3d9. Not sure how that might impact plans for dealing with the bug in question.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Them dropping D3D9 and only supporting GL and D3D11 means that people with older video cards are now left out in the dust. I'm going to assume that their GL requirements are also going to be bumped, possibly closing the door on some of our users using older hardware.

We need to watch this closely.
lysol

Post by lysol »

How about supporting one Ogre 1.9 and one Ogre 2.0 branch of OpenMW? Or maybe that would be messy for you devs? Personally, it's not a problem for me since I have a quite modern graphics card.
K1ll

Post by K1ll »

OpenMW 0.34.0 RC2 Linux targz packages:

32 Bit
64 Bit
Slissith

Post by Slissith »

I really couldn't find a satisfying answer on what graphics cards support DirectX 11, production date wise. According to microsoft however, DirectX 11 itself was released alongside Windows 7 in 2008. That means that DirectX 11 has been around for about 6 years. Therefore I think it's safe to assume that most graphics cards under 4 years old in age should support it.

Nevertheless, I think it would be helpful to make a thread on the issue to:

1) Inform people about DirectX 11
2) Get an idea of how many people are going to be affected by this.

Not that I have any authority here, just my 2 cents :)
sjek

Post by sjek »

found this Q§A from august
http://www.yosoygames.com.ar/wp/2014/08 ... final-faq/

mostly on organizing buffers and paging although don't know much about the things like have been written here they are continuing to work on opengl for backward combability. XP rocks in lightness :D

ogre's forums go over the top for me. some error's pop up from shadow's when searching D3D9 maybe more story into it. that 2.0 goes on vertex shading to one big highway style but otherwise doesn't seem to be so much of changes in feature side what letter memory tolds... maybe already handled somewhere

some few "games for windows" have given the error message that operating system or D3 version is wrong. said it's about from which engine's code it's using some forcing D9 code to D11. openGL have worked usually as backside where provided and if not the game has been commonly rigorously hard to get working at all so shouldn't effect this game so much anymore at least. majority of card manufacturers have moved kinda to openGL or directX what have been coming around with old games support lists.

PS. gracias for game 8-)

ok. it's got skeleton's bones and all kind of stuff ;)
Mistahtokyo

Post by Mistahtokyo »

Regarding the Ogre 2.0 dropping D3D9 thing,if someone had a video card that old, chances are they're better off playing vanilla Morrowind with no mods, right? Don't see how they could manage any decent framerates otherwise... I always figured this project's long term goals would be to modernize Morrowind, don't see how that can happen if you try to support ancient machines.