OpenMW 0.34.0

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
Zini

OpenMW 0.34.0

Post by Zini »

My usual release planning posting, on time for a change:

Development on OpenMW is continuing to slow down slightly, which is okay. Development on OpenCS is continuing to pick.up. We even may be able to release OpenMW 1.0 and OpenCS 1.0 at the same time. That would be kinda convenient.

We even have people working on the OpenCS manual again. At this point we are only missing someone working on the OpenCS icons.

Nothing more to say about it. All is looking good.

Since I would like to get out another release this year, we should aim for entering the RC phase for 0.34.0 in about a month. That should give us just enough time to wrap things up.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Re: OpenMW 0.34.0

Post by psi29a »

I didn't do it for 0.33, but for 0.34 would you like it if I package the esm/bsa tools and nif file tester? They have their uses outside of OpenMW, so I thought an apart package would be appropriate:

openmw-tools

^-- This way you can install them independantly of OpenMW/CS.

I would like to do the same thing with the manual/docs when they are ready:
openmw-docs
Zini

Post by Zini »

The additional binaries are not a priority (and I still expect that we will discontinue the bsa tool at some point). But it wouldn't hurt either to make them available to users now, if you have the time for it.

Are we going to have a single manual package both for OpenCS and OpenMW? Since we are splitting OpenCS and OpenMW in separate packages, I would expect also to have separate manual packages (with the OpenMW one including the launcher).

Not so sure about the when they are ready part. For now the manual will be behind OpenCS and I don't expect that to change any time soon. IMHO we can as well go ahead and start distributing it for 0.34.0 (maybe with a WIP remark somewhere in the description or in the manual text)
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

No worries about the tools, just that they might be handy.

If you would rather have something like this:
openmw-docs
openmw-cs-docs

^-- that is also fine... though I don't know how openmw-docs would be interesting or relevant to end users.

Another solution would just include the docs in the openmw and openmw-cs packages, you get it 'for free' and I doubt it will take up more than 10MiB of space. ;)
raevol

Post by raevol »

I'm so excited you guys!!
Zini

Post by Zini »

Merging the docs into the application packages is also fine. Actually, I don't have a strong opinion on this. I mentioned the OpenCS/OpenMW manual split only for the sake of consistency.

Regarding OpenMW docs: I am not sure yet what we will need here. As functionality grows we may or may not require some launcher docs.
Zini

Post by Zini »

The month is almost over and we should slowly start to warm up for the release. RC phase in about a week? We still have one blocker issue, but that should be resolvable within a week.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

Hm, not sure if I agree. Pretty small and unexciting release (comparatively). I don't think it warrants an update video so far, but I guess we could just skip one release on that front.
Zini

Post by Zini »

If we want to get out another release this year, then we need to start soon. 0.34.0 will be a bit smaller and there is not much on the OpenMW side besides bugfixes. But we have some things to show for on the OpenCS side and also the new setup wizard.
raevol

Post by raevol »

Guys, do you think we could put together an exhaustive list of unimplemented features, essential code improvements (like getting fps to an acceptable rate), and other required tasks, not including bug fixes, that are left for our 1.0 release? I think the list should be small enough now that it can be written up. I think it would be really good for us to have that list in perspective, so we know exactly how much work we have left that we need to rally development for.

I want to leave out bugs, not because we don't have any that need to be fixed before 1.0 hits, but because we will certainly find more before we are ready for 1.0, and we should just do another "objective list" pass on bugs after we are done with features and tasks.

I ask this because it really looks to me like Calm and fps optimization are the only two things missing, from my gameplay experience. That has to be wrong, because I am sure there are more things, but it'd be good to know what those things are, so we can knock them out (I know fps is not that simple) and then focus 100% on bug fixing.

I also know this info is all on the bug tracker, but I think it needs to be pulled over to the forums so it can be discussed and PR'ed. I remember a few months ago I was absolutely certain we were going to hit 1.0 this year, and now it feels like we have a tiny bit of work left, but it's taking an infinite amount of time to get it done, and that's really disheartening.

I can take a stab at making this list if neither Zini nor Scrawl want to do it, but it should be pretty short, right? We're almost feature-complete, right?

Edit: The point of all of this, is it would be really great to announce we are in a "beta" phase, where we are feature complete, but need testing and bug fixing. I think that might rally some development resources for us.