Scene Toolbar Icon Request

Involved development of the OpenMW construction set.
Shnatsel

Re: Scene Toolbar Icon Request

Post by Shnatsel »

No problem, I'm more or less familiar with git. Do you want me to create a new repo or add the icons somewhere in the OpenCS repo?

If the latter, where do I put the exported icons? Also, where do I put the SVG source and the raster parts from which the icons are assembled in that case?

I've toned down the red line a bit, this is what will go into the final exports if no other issues are discovered.
everything.png
everything.png (3.39 KiB) Viewed 11951 times
Attachments
14.svg.gz
(12.31 KiB) Downloaded 474 times
Zini

Post by Zini »

The procedure is to fork OpenMW/openmw on github. That create a local clone of this fork on your machine, add the files there, commit and push to your fork on github. After that you only need to send a pull request via the github web interface.

The png files go into files/opencs.

The svg files go into files/opencs/scalable.

Edit: Since this isn't overly urgent, let's give it a try with these icons. I'll await your pull request.
Shnatsel

Post by Shnatsel »

Done: https://github.com/OpenMW/openmw/pull/373

Any other icons you need?
Zini

Post by Zini »

We need another set of icons of the same type (but a separate button) for cell marker, cell arrows and cell borders. But since only one of these is currently implemented and we don't know exactly yet how the other two will look, maybe we should wait with that.

Then we have the run button (start OpenMW from within OpenCS). We need that in two versions. One active/enabled (because of at least one usable debug profile available) and one inactive/disabled (because no usable debug profile is available).

And then we have the edit mode buttons: Reference/object editing mode, pathgrid editing mode, terrain shape editing mode, terrain texture editing mode, terrain vertex paint editing mode and terrain movement mode.
Shnatsel

Post by Shnatsel »

Zini wrote:Then we have the run button (start OpenMW from within OpenCS).
elementary-play.png
elementary-play.png (2.05 KiB) Viewed 11886 times
14_play.png
14_play.png (3.32 KiB) Viewed 11886 times
14_play1.png
14_play1.png (3.48 KiB) Viewed 11886 times
scene-view-status-29.png
scene-view-status-29.png (3.17 KiB) Viewed 11886 times
14_play2.png
14_play2.png (3.51 KiB) Viewed 11886 times
Does this look like the right metaphor to you? Or should I try something else?
Zini wrote:We need that in two versions. One active/enabled (because of at least one usable debug profile available) and one inactive/disabled (because no usable debug profile is available).
Shouldn't that be handled by the toolkit? Not sure about Qt, but in GTK+ there's a sensitive=false property that takes care of that. Like this:

Besides, it's probably a better idea to kick off a debug profile setup dialog on pressing that button than disabling it altogether.
Zini wrote:And then we have the edit mode buttons: Reference/object editing mode, pathgrid editing mode, terrain shape editing mode, terrain texture editing mode, terrain vertex paint editing mode and terrain movement mode.
How can I play with them in the editor? I mean, what buttons should I press? I'd prefer to play around with them before trying to portray them.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Run button: looks okay.
Shouldn't that be handled by the toolkit? Not sure about Qt, but in GTK+ there's a sensitive=false property that takes care of that. Like this:
We could use the build-in functionality to indicate a disabled button, but I would prefer to give some hints about the problem (the icon should be big enough for that).
Besides, it's probably a better idea to kick off a debug profile setup dialog on pressing that button than disabling it altogether.
We don't really have dialogues. And opening a debug profile subview would only confuse the user.
How can I play with them in the editor? I mean, what buttons should I press? I'd prefer to play around with them before trying to portray them.
Its the last button on the scene toolbar, but it only has "No icon yet" icons and no functionality yet. So far we only have a partial object editing mode (and a pathgrid editing mode that is not ready for merging) and both are not connected to the button at this point.
Shnatsel

Post by Shnatsel »

I've just found that I've supplied the wrong status icon for the default view. Here's a pull request that fixes it: https://github.com/OpenMW/openmw/pull/374

As for the play button, here's what I've got so far:

I had to downplay the "play" sign because it attracted too much attention.

I still believe the best way to indicate that the action is impossible is to use the system's insensitive button. I've smoothed out the borders of the image to emphasize the button itself and make its state (sensitive/insensitive) more visible.

Could you try it with the attached icon and post a screenshot?
Attachments
14_play4_masked.png
14_play4_masked.png (3.41 KiB) Viewed 11867 times
Zini

Post by Zini »

I've just found that I've supplied the wrong status icon for the default view. Here's a pull request that fixes it: https://github.com/OpenMW/openmw/pull/374
Was already wondering what was going on with that button. Still have to iron out a few bugs, before the new button is ready.
Could you try it with the attached icon and post a screenshot?
You mean with the Qt-feature using implementation instead of the 2nd icon? Sure. Will do.
Zini

Post by Zini »

There you go:
Attachments
2.png
1.png
Shnatsel

Post by Shnatsel »

First off, here is a 14px placeholder icon so you don't have to downscale the 48px one into a jumbled mess.
placeholder_14px_r1.png
placeholder_14px_r1.png (266 Bytes) Viewed 11784 times
placeholder_14px_r1.svg.gz
(1.42 KiB) Downloaded 492 times
As for the "play" button, I strongly suggest to make it the last icon in the panel, here's why:

1) Currently you seem to have the block of togglebuttons interrupted by a regular button, which is somewhat confusing. Moving the play button to the end would create a contiguous block of toggebuttons.

2) People generally read vertical toolbars (or just about anything vertical) top to bottom. A layout [view toggles - try it button - editing toggle] is not the order you'd use those elements in. You'd rather set up the view, then edit something, then try it in-game - which gives [view toggles - editing toggle - try it button].

Please try it and let me know if you think a different icon for the insensitive state is necessary.