Release Video Commentaries

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
raevol

Re: Release Video Commentaries

Post by raevol »

lgromanowski wrote:I made some changes to the embedding code, so it should work :)
Thanks man, you're awesome. :)
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

Just to say that I still plan on making a video for 0.33, but haven't gotten around to do much yet.

So far I gathered the list of features that should be shown:

Code: Select all

Implemented Death and LevelUp music

Implemented console targeting on player

Implemented red pain effect when hit

Implemented spellcasting for non-biped creatures

Fixed issues with book and scroll content display

OpenCS: Implemented magic effect table

OpenCS: Implemented path grid table

OpenCS: Implemented sound gen table

OpenCS: Implemented requesting UniversalId editing from table columns (example: allows you to edit a script via right-click menu on the script column of a referenceable).

OpenCS: Implemented terrain rendering

OpenCS: Implemented running OpenMW with the currently edited content list
Any help would be appreciated, the next step is to write a voiceover script.
dramakon

Post by dramakon »

I can have a look over the changelog and write a script this evening if you'd like. Can't help with recording/video editing though.
dramakon

Post by dramakon »

Here's a script. I'm open to any suggestions or corrections. One thing I was not sure about was the semantics of "references". Does this include things such as path-grid locations, or is it only physical objects in the game?
Welcome back. The OpenMW team is proud to announce the release of OpenMV version 0.33. Keep in mind that before we reach version 1.0, which will represent a 1:1 feature parity with the original Morrowind Game, most of the updates will be reimplementations of already existing features alongside bug-fixes which have occurred during the development of the engine.

Death and Levelup music has been implemented. This means that the player may now enjoy the conciliatory tones of Jeremy Soul's original soundtrack as their thread of prophecy is broken once again.

The Level up music will now also play to give a sense of achievement to all that grinding - or training, if you play Morrowind like most people.

Console targeting on the player model through clicking is now implemented. This previously worked by typing "player" in the console window, but I think you'll agree that it's now much easier to use.

The Red on-hit overlay has been introduced. It turns out that hits on the player come up as a red throb covering the whole screen in Morrowind. In previous versions of OpenMW, we had the player model bleed like other NPCs. Let us know in the comments if you'd like an option to turn this functionality back on.

Spell-casting for non-humanoid creatures has now been implemented. Therefore Scribs have been restored to their original purpose of paralyzing the player for unreasonable periods of time...

The reset actors command has been implemented, which is useful if, like many of our bug testers, you’ve been suffering from the infamous shifting caravanner bug.

The console is now assigned to the Grave key by default.

Rain is now rendered correctly in third person. No more rain clouds sticking to the player in third person like some metaphor for how much of an n'wah you are.

For all you bibliophiles, books with images now display correctly, and images no longer cause the text to shift to the next page. (Reads ABC for barbarians)

There has been increasing development on the OpenCS over the last few releases. This version is no different, and brings a host of new features to the program. This is highly exiting, as OpenCS will redress many of the infamous bugs that plagued the Original construction set and eventually allow for advanced OpenMW content to be produced.

Terrain rendering has been implemented within OpenCS. We can now view objects with relation to the terrain they exist on. This takes us one step closer to complete rendering capacity, with only water and fog remaining.

Running the game immediately from the current position whilst maintaining edits has been implemented within OpenCS. This allows content developers to seamlessly switch between editing and play-testing, and we hope that this will save many hours of frustration!

On the interface side, a number of reference tables were added.
Firstly, the Spell table, allowing the user to create or modify existing spells.
Next, the path-grid table. This will come to be useful when path-grid editing is added in the near future.
Finally the Sound Gen table. Here the user may modify existing sounds and reposition them around the game world.
Editing elements of the game directly from the columns was implemented. This means that after locating a reference, the user can select it and edit it in the appropriate context. The OpenMW team is sure that this feature combined with the filter system will streamline editing when the editor is complete.

That's about it for this week. Again there were a large number of smaller fixes which didn't make it into the video. I'd advise you to check the release info or the forums for that. These are exciting times for OpenMW, and I hope to be back again soon with more substantial updates.

Until then, good-bye.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

I'm actually impressed. I need to make a few factual corrections and misc changes, but the writing style is great. I'll let you know what I come up with.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

Death and Levelup music has been implemented.
This should only say "Death music has been implemented" since Levelup music has its own paragraph below. Right?
In previous versions of OpenMW, we had the player model bleed like other NPCs. Let us know in the comments if you'd like an option to turn this functionality back on.
We already have this option in settings.cfg, but it's kinda of limited use (the bleeding approach doesn't work for continuous damage, e.g. lava).
The reset actors command has been implemented, which is useful if, like many of our bug testers, you’ve been suffering from the infamous shifting caravanner bug.
Maybe we should cut this out. I can't think of a good way to demonstrate the bug on video, since it happens over long periods of time.
The console is now assigned to the Grave key by default.
Rain is now rendered correctly in third person. No more rain clouds sticking to the player in third person like some metaphor for how much of an n'wah you are.
Would like to cut these two as well. Just not interesting enough IMO.
Firstly, the Spell table, allowing the user to create or modify existing spells.
Next, the path-grid table. This will come to be useful when path-grid editing is added in the near future.
Finally the Sound Gen table. Here the user may modify existing sounds and reposition them around the game world.
The sound gen part is partially incorrect (positioning is done via the References table). However I'd like to shorten this section into maybe just "We've added tables for spells, path grids, and sound gen records." since the descriptions aren't very interesting, IMO.
dramakon

Post by dramakon »

scrawl wrote:I'm actually impressed. I need to make a few factual corrections and misc changes, but the writing style is great. I'll let you know what I come up with.
Thanks. My style was something of a compromise between Weirdsexy's and my own.

take two:
Welcome back. The OpenMW team is proud to announce the release of OpenMV version 0.33. Keep in mind that before we reach version 1.0, which will represent a 1:1 feature parity with the original Morrowind Game, most of the updates will be reimplementations of already existing features alongside bug-fixes which have occurred during the development of the engine.

Death and music has been implemented. This means that the player may now enjoy the conciliatory tones of Jeremy Soul's original soundtrack as their thread of prophecy is broken once again.

The Level up music will now also play to give a sense of achievement to all that grinding - or training, if you play Morrowind like most people.

Console targeting on the player model through clicking is now implemented. This previously worked by typing "player" in the console window, but I think you'll agree that it's now much easier to use.

The Red on-hit overlay has been introduced. It turns out that hits on the player come up as a red throb covering the whole screen in Morrowind. In previous versions of OpenMW, we had the player model bleed like other NPCs. The older functionality can be restored through the settings file, should you prefer it.

Spell-casting for non-humanoid creatures has now been implemented. Therefore Scribs have been restored to their original purpose of paralyzing the player for unreasonable periods of time...

For all you bibliophiles, books with images now display correctly, and images no longer cause the text to shift to the next page. (Reads ABC for barbarians)

There has been increasing development on the OpenCS over the last few releases. This version is no different, and brings a host of new features to the program. This is highly exiting, as OpenCS will redress many of the infamous bugs that plagued the Original construction set and eventually allow for advanced OpenMW content to be produced.

Terrain rendering has been implemented within OpenCS. We can now view objects with relation to the terrain they exist on. This takes us one step closer to complete rendering capacity, with only water and fog remaining.

Running the game immediately from the current position whilst maintaining edits has been implemented within OpenCS. This allows content developers to seamlessly switch between editing and play-testing, and we hope that this will save many hours of frustration!

Spells, the path-grids and Sounds are all now accessible through their respective tables.

Editing elements of the game directly from the columns was implemented. This means that after locating a reference, the user can select it and edit it in the appropriate context. The OpenMW team is sure that this feature combined with the filter system will streamline editing when the editor is complete.

That's about it for this week. Again there were a large number of smaller fixes which didn't make it into the video. I'd advise you to check the release info or the forums for that. These are exciting times for OpenMW, and I hope to be back again soon with more substantial updates.

Until then, good-bye.
I liked the line about the cloud as it had a little humour, but I defer to your judgement. If there are any other changes anyone recommends, do shout.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

A couple more tweaks. I used gist so you can see what I changed: https://gist.github.com/scrawl/b22dcde9 ... /revisions

Any objections, if not I'll send it off to MrOpenMW soon.
dramakon

Post by dramakon »

None at all. Let me know when you want the next one writing.
WeirdSexy

Post by WeirdSexy »

dramakon, thanks for contributing to the script!