Can I use the assets from the XBox 360 version?

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
cbmeeks

Can I use the assets from the XBox 360 version?

Post by cbmeeks »

Hello all. I just recently discovered this project and I admit I am very excited to get it running.

I own MW for the XBox 360 (from the Platinum Hits). Can I use those discs for the assets to OpenMW?

I would hate to have to buy the game again but since Steam has it for $20 I might do it anyway.

Thanks!
TheInternet

Re: Can I use the assets from the XBox 360 version?

Post by TheInternet »

No, you need the PC version.
dEnigma

Post by dEnigma »

I bought the game twice too, but only for the expansions and because it was so cheap on Steam at the time ;)
Pherim

Post by Pherim »

I currently own three versions of the game - one German retail GOTY, one English GOTY and the Steam version - though the latter two were included in the Elder Scrolls anthology. And the day it comes to GoG (one can always hope) I will certainly buy it a fourth time, which would make it the game I own the most copies of - right now it has to share this honor with Baldur's Gate II (of which I own three German versions - guess it's time to get it on GoG, as well ;) ) and Oblivion (the same as Morrowind, but I actually regret having bought the German version as I got it on Steam with the Anthology anyway, but at the time I bought it I didn't know the Anthology was going to be released half a year later. And I greatly doubt I will ever play it in German, as, in contrast to Morrowind, the localization is horrible).

So what I'm trying to say: Just buy it again on Steam! If only to be able to play it with mods (even with the old engine, the possibilities are almost endless, and it will probably take some time until OpenMW is ready to completely replace it).
claudekennilol

Post by claudekennilol »

There was an xbox 360 release of morrowind? Or do you mean the xbox version that also works on the 360?
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

TheInternet wrote:No, you need the PC version.
In theory, you just copy all the assets over. It that doesn't work, file a bug report.
claudekennilol

Post by claudekennilol »

psi29a wrote:
In theory, you just copy all the assets over. It that doesn't work, file a bug report.
Wow..this was a long time ago.. If I remember correctly all the assets are packaged in a way unique to the xbox. Using mods on the xbox required unpackaging the game, merging in the mods to the morrowind esm, and then repackaging it back into the "unique xbox" package.

I could be completely misremembering, but I doubt it's going to be as simple as "just copying the assets" off the disk.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

claudekennilol wrote:
psi29a wrote:
Using mods on the xbox required unpackaging the game, merging in the mods to the morrowind esm, and then repackaging it back into the "unique xbox" package.

I could be completely misremembering, but I doubt it's going to be as simple as "just copying the assets" off the disk.
If it is as simple as 'unpackaging the game', then yes, it can be as simple as letting the installation wizard detect the xbox disk and installing from it like we do with all the other versions. Anyone have any documentation on the format or a disk they are willing to donate to the cause?
paperbag

Post by paperbag »

Morrowind will likely be on sale for $5 USD on Steam, Green Man Gaming, or Gamefly for the holiday season(I'd start checking around the last week of November). You could also check around ebay and amazon for a hard copy for less than $20 (probably in the neighborhood of $10-$15).
K0kt409P

Post by K0kt409P »

I should have Xbox discs of both the original and the goty version lying around somewhere. The more problematic part is going to be finding a DVD drive. None of my computers have one.