Release Video Commentaries

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
lef42

Re: Release Video Commentaries

Post by lef42 »

Obs is loads better for local recordings imo
jam

Post by jam »

I'm skilled enough with Sony Vegas, and I'd be willing to edit videos, and possibly record footage. I can provide proof of what talent I have if need be? Other then that I read every changelog for every project I follow (including openmw), but I don't know how well I could write a script from it, and while I'm fine with voice over stuff i'll admit my voice isn't the nicest. Oh and I'm 100% willing to help, So if you'd like some help I'm right here.

P.S huge fan of your work weirdsexy, and really all of the openmw team :D
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

Thanks for detailing your workflow, WeirdSexy.

Here's my take on the "Requirements gathering" step.

NPC lip and eye movement (#642, #1721)
New magic effects: Light, Command creature/humanoid
Combat AI for magic (spells, potions and enchanted items - #961)
Combat engagement for actors following the player (#1141)
Difficulty slider (#1505)
User-created map markers (#1571)

OpenCS
Resources tables (#939)

Some ideas how to show these features:
NPC lip and eye movement - show the intro dialogue with Socucius Ergalla (he was used in an earlier release commentry to show the initial placeholder implementation)

Magic effects - somewhat obvious, cast these effects. For convenience, here are some spell IDs that may be added using the console (player->addspell "ID")
Command Creature
Command Humanoid
Light
Then, mention that 100% of magic effects are now implemented.

Combat engagement for actors following the player - this affects summoned creatures and actors scripted to AiFollow (for example Tribunal's henchman). They will now help the follow target in fights. Demonstrate this with some fight scenes. It should also be noted that followers will "forgive" a number of friendly hits, then turn hostile.

Combat AI for magic - show a couple more fight scenes. When I tested the AI implementation, I found the following locations particularly fun:
- Caldera, Guild of Mages (Folms Mirel has a ton of elemental damage scrolls)
- Tel Aruhn, Upper Tower (Gothren)
- Ghostgate, Tower of Dusk

Difficulty slider - only affects damage output from and to the player. Somewhat difficult to show (no pun intended), but still important. Show the slider and its possible values in the options menu.

User-created map markers - create such a marker, and explain how it works (double click on map to create, double click on a marker to edit/delete it)

OpenCS resources tables - can be found in the "Assets" top-level menu. Open a few of them and scroll around. Note: "Sounds" is not a resources table, but "Sound Files" is.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

I have made a video for 0.32 and WeirdSexy has been so kind to lend his voice.

Who do I need to talk to for the youtube password? Edit: thanks raevol.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

Video is up. Unlisted, waiting for some feedback before I make it public.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVoU7ryIGbA
werdanith

Post by werdanith »

Pretty good result.
Knowing that it was not directed by WeirdSexy, I can maybe notice some minor differences in cinematography.
Other than that it looks like just another excellent OpenMW release video to me. :)
Lazaroth

Post by Lazaroth »

Looks good! The 2 main differences I notice is a faster pace between cuts and that WeirdSexy might seem a tad less enthusiastic than he previously has been. The first point is just a matter of style and I can't say which one I prefer, but the second one might be something to keep in the back of your head for future videos (if anyone agrees with this obviously).
Zini

Post by Zini »

Looks okay. Overall a bit more monotonous compared with the previous videos, but I guess that is unavoidable with this approach.
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

Lazaroth wrote:Looks good! The 2 main differences I notice is a faster pace between cuts and that WeirdSexy might seem a tad less enthusiastic than he previously has been. The first point is just a matter of style and I can't say which one I prefer, but the second one might be something to keep in the back of your head for future videos (if anyone agrees with this obviously).
I agree, the voice-over sounds bored/tired. It could really use some enthusiasm. I miss WeirdSexy's spunk... in the videos, I mean. In his presentation. Not his... well, you know.

May I throw an idea out there for a different format? Prison Architect has two developers talking about what is new. The interplay between them is very enjoyable to listen to.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

Hmm. Well, I must say that I didn't notice that at all. I guess you turn a blind eye to all sorts of things when in the heat of editing.
The voice is unprocessed this time, as far as I know, which might be a possible reason. I tried some processing in Audacity, but could not get anything that sounded significantly better. Being completely new to this I had no idea where to start tweaking. Perhaps WeirdSexy could share more detail on how he does this (e.g. equalizers used)?

I will probably re-edit this one anyway, to add ducking for music and sound fx during the speaking segments, and to tweak the length of a few cuts. Since the video is already very late anyway the delay shouldn't be too much of a problem.