OpenMW 0.33.0

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
ElderTroll

Re: OpenMW 0.33.0

Post by ElderTroll »

Congrats on the new release!
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

The Debian and Ubuntu PPA builds are broken currently, they are missing:
dh_install: usr/lib/Plugin_MyGUI_OpenMW_Resources.so exists in debian/tmp but is not installed to anywhere
dh_install: usr/share/games/openmw/resources/defaultfilters exists in debian/tmp but is not installed to anywhere

I'll try to fix it when I gett ime, but won't likely be ready until Monday.

@Scrawl, is this MyGUI lib something we need to ship (as a shared lib) or is it something that can be built as a static *.a file and then compiled into openmw? Is it used by openmw-cs?
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

Are you not using make install in your build rules? That should take care of it.
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

scrawl wrote:Are you not using make install in your build rules? That should take care of it.
It doesn't work that way. I just got this from scott:
It's sane to ship a shared library as a plugin:
https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-polic ... -libraries
"Shared object files (often .so files) that are not public libraries,
that is, they are not meant to be linked to by third party executables
(binaries of other packages), should be installed in subdirectories of
the /usr/lib directory. Such files are exempt from the rules that
govern ordinary shared libraries, except that they must not be
installed executable and should be stripped. A common example are the
so-called "plug-ins", internal shared objects that are dynamically
loaded by programs using dlopen(3)."
Will that work for this? install it to /usr/lib/openmw/ or something like that?
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

But you should be using make install. Otherwise we're going to run into new issues whenever new files are added.
Sure thing, change this install path in our CMakeLists and make a pull request.
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

scrawl wrote:But you should be using make install. Otherwise we're going to run into new issues whenever new files are added.
It doesn't work like that in Debs, everything comes down to the debian/rules file (how it should be built) and the debian/package.install file which says what files go into a package. `make install`is overridden to install to a temp directory, then collected and processed.

I did just enable a check (thanks random stranger with email) that makes sure that all files created are checked against the package.install files to make sure we aren't ignoring anything. This should take care of any issues in the future when new files come in (or are removed).
scrawl wrote:
Sure thing, change this install path in our CMakeLists and make a pull request.
I'll take care of this when I get the chance. Though I'm not sure if this applies to Redhat/slack/*BSD as well, but I think it is a *sane* rational to install the 'plugin' to /usr/lib/openmw
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

Wait a minute...
option(BUILD_MYGUI_PLUGIN "build MyGUI plugin for OpenMW resources, to use with MyGUI tools" ON)
This isn't required for OpenMW nor OpenMW-CS? It is just there for developers (and modders) that want to use MyGUI tools?
Zini

Post by Zini »

We have a little issue here. Apparently 0.33.0 does not build with some compilers. This requires a maintenance release (0.33.1). The binary packages (0.33.0) are okay. But we need new source packages and we also need some kind of announcement akin to the usual release announcements.

I will add the new tag shortly.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Tag openmw-0.33.1 has been applied.
raevol

Post by raevol »

Hmm, let me know how you want me to handle this. I assume we can do another release for the tag on github, and that will provide the source package? Is that the only place we provide a source package?

I can write an announcement too, but let me know what it should cover? And how far and wide should we post it? Seems like Github and our website should be enough?

Something like:
To correct issues with certain compilers, the OpenMW team has release a maintenance release of version 0.33.1. Please find the source package on our github release page: (link) This maintenance release corrects <issue specifics>