Combat - Dark Souls Features

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
DarkAnsem

Re: Combat - Dark Souls Features

Post by DarkAnsem »

Okulo wrote:Especially dragon mounts.
I feared you'd say that...
SquireNed

Post by SquireNed »

One gripe I have with Morrowind combat in particular is that it can feel very flighty. Including even something in the sense of a UI element or different animations to show different degrees of success could be helpful, especially at low levels when you're just trading hits with slavers in Addamasartus and you're rather unlikely to hit.

I think a simple overhaul in terms of not needing more animations and such would be to incorporate War of the Roses style combat timing, with charge ups and the like (mind, it's been a while since I played, and I was one of those annoying crossbow snipers more often than not), perhaps hybridized with a Mount and Blade style momentum=damage system, though my one gripe with M&B is how it basically encourages these random weird battle dances. Maybe that's realistic, though?
bahamut

Post by bahamut »

Okulo wrote:Especially dragon mounts.
Or NPC mounts
Rumina

Post by Rumina »

bahamut wrote:Or NPC mounts
I'm suddenly picturing the player arriving in Seyda Neen and getting piggy back rides from Fargoth around the region.
MisterMannperson

Post by MisterMannperson »

*imagines dark brotherhood flipping about throwing poisoned knives and backstab fishing, and cringes*

I think it would be really awesome though if umm weapons could be modded to have movesets that make use of all the different attacks like thrust and slash that Bethesda poorly implemented.

I could totally see daedric stuff mirroring the black knight weapons being really heavy and maybe requiring a certain strength and aglity to swing correctly without a severe penalty to speed and damage. And hitting something with them result in a LOUD clang and enemies appropriately look like they got hit instead of nudging back a bit when 30 lbs of iron comes down on his head.

OOH OOH and umm when you swing and miss because of the way Morrowind works, they can do a roll animation!

I thought scaling and ascension were pretty cool too. Imagine enchanting a weapon to be more powerful based on your Intelligence or Willpower. LOL Elder Souls!
silentthief

Post by silentthief »

MisterMannperson wrote:*imagines dark brotherhood flipping about throwing poisoned knives and backstab fishing, and cringes*
Link here -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uyezxKMSF4
morrowind ninja attack! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

ST
MisterMannperson

Post by MisterMannperson »

silentthief wrote:Link here -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uyezxKMSF4
morrowind ninja attack! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
ST
Newbie in shadow set with dark wood grain ring, and dual-weilding +15 uchigatana and bandit's knife (in the wrong hand) vs a pyromancer and tank gank squad.
:( I'll bet those gankers didn't even bow before the fight, and sent git gud skrub messages afterward.

LOL in all seriousness, after 1.0 someone's gotta script a ring to swap to that ninja animation. I wonder if you can give invincibility frames to an animation in nifskope? I think you can speed them up if you move the root bone.

Oblivion had a dodge jump kinda feature didn't it? I think you got it if you increased agility? I can't remember because I played it, like, once years ago.