Savegame size, what are normal values?

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
Gramblosh

Savegame size, what are normal values?

Post by Gramblosh »

I am playing OpenMW now for a week and it works suprisingly well. Chapeau! Loading bars on cell change (ocassionally followed by a CTD) still driving me nuts but besides that it's just very few minor things that are not already pretty well compared to the original game.

I haven't explored that much yet, did a bit of MQ (going to visist Urshilaku camp now), being a bit futher in the fighters guild and did a few free quests and the first two Redoran quests. I haven't explored many caves and ruins yet and the map still looks pretty much covered. However, the savegame is already at 13 MB which is comparably large. I am using a few mods but most of them are just replacers and very few fixes but I wouldn't expect them to cause any savegame bloat. I also don't see that waiting causes the save to get smaller which usually happens in the original game. So, is that a normal value or should I start to worry?
Tinker

Re: Savegame size, what are normal values?

Post by Tinker »

The largest I have is about 4Mb but that is for a test character that has only got as far as joining the blades, most of my test saves have not gone far from Seyda Neen and are 2 or 3Mb, a new game after the census office is about 500k. I would think 13Mb is probably about right.
Gramblosh

Post by Gramblosh »

My save game after traveling from Seyda Neen to Balmora is about a similar size as yours (3-4 MB), so looks like they grow pretty fast.
Berandas

Post by Berandas »

Some of my saves from earlier releases goes even to 40+ MBs, depending on how far in the game I was.
The ones of my new 0.32 character have about 5 MBs for now.
Markelius

Post by Markelius »

Why so big? My saves with the vanilla .exe are only around 2.7MB for a character I've been playing for quite a while, and they seem to stay around that size.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

We keep more state information and we don't use any compression at the moment.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

Larger saves are to be expected. Vanilla MW will "forget"/reset some state after several game-days which we don't do.

There are plenty of optimizations we can do regarding the save size, though. The change tracking for references is still in a very early state.
Gramblosh

Post by Gramblosh »

As long as the extra data and subsequently increased size doesn't affect stability it shouldn't matter that much, however, it still increases load/save times. They are already rather bad compared to the first couple of days, at the moment it's about 5 seconds while my first saves take about 1 second (well, not enough to say "einundzwanzig").