Inclusion of external libraries for future

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
anahuj

Inclusion of external libraries for future

Post by anahuj »

I have read wishes about multiplayer Skyrim, and have seen multiplayer Oblivion mod. How about checking what network communication system would be useful for multiplayer Morrowind? No need to implement anything; just have the library in place in case somebody would like to thinker the multiplayer system. In simplest, in-game chat could be used to ask help from other players - not multiplayer, just the chat.

I also would like to see Niftools and TESxEdit (sort of) included so that people may experiment with Oblivion and Skyrim data and renderings. Towards OpenOblivion. I assume OpenMW provides excellent framework for easy OpenOblivion and OpenSkyrim development.
Okulo

Re: Inclusion of external libraries for future

Post by Okulo »

anahuj wrote:No need to implement anything; just have the library in place in case somebody would like to thinker the multiplayer system. In simplest, in-game chat could be used to ask help from other players - not multiplayer, just the chat.
Kinda reminds me of Uplink, which had an IRC button. It would automatically start its own tiny in-game IRC client and connect you to the official chatroom.
Ace (SWE)

Post by Ace (SWE) »

What I really loved about the Uplink IRC client was that it was styled to look just like every other Uplink application, and the description and everything slotted it perfectly into the games lore.
anahuj

Post by anahuj »

I'm playing Guild Wars 2. The chat is open and usable as soon as the game plays. The chat actually is open when player is in character selection but the chat window is not available for reading and writing until the player is in the world. I would like to change that so that the chat is usable from the start: character creation, server selection. (I hope we get at least one server.)

By the way, GW2 must have something because it is the first game which I have played extensively. Now two months, hours per day. Likewise my daughter. Sure we played Cave Story and Tomb Raider extensively, but here we are reaching the sky. Morrowind could be a good place to experiment that kind of multiplayer experience.
SquireNed

Post by SquireNed »

Keep in mind, however, that other places like Divinity: Original Sin have had problems with integrated IRC, especially when players aren't "bannable". Connecting to a moderated standard IRC channel may solve this issue.
anahuj

Post by anahuj »

I agree on external chat and voice chat. And multiplayer game system should be priority in any case. In simplest, the map could show locations of other players (while other players are not yet seen in the world).