Release Video Commentaries

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
WeirdSexy

Release Video Commentaries

Post by WeirdSexy »

I've been in denial about it, but has become apparent to me that it is going to be a long time before I start having real free time again. Since OpenMW commentary videos typically require from me large amounts of work over a couple of days or more, I don't think I will be able to put out videos in conjunction with releases for the foreseeable future.

I don't want to think or say that I am leaving this project as it has meant quite a lot to me. But basically the situation is this: if I am able to make commentary videos for future releases, then I will make them. If not, then sorry, but I'm absolving myself the responsibility of getting them done. Anyone else with the skills is welcome to pick up my slack. Feel free to use this thread for discussing that.

I've really enjoyed narrating this project to our followers for the past couple of years and hope I can continue to do so in the future. Best of luck guys.
Last edited by WeirdSexy on 04 Sep 2014, 13:18, edited 1 time in total.
raevol

Re: Release Video Commentaries

Post by raevol »

All the best with everything man, thank you so much for your invaluable contributions to the project. You'll still be around the forums right? And looking forward to when you get the time to make videos again in the future. :)
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

It will make the videos even sweeter when you do do them... ;)

Cheers for all the work and good luck with everything else! :)
WeirdSexy

Post by WeirdSexy »

I'm sure I'll still be able to pop in a check the forums on a regular basis :) If anyone ever needs to get in touch with me and I haven't logged in in a while, sending me a PM should get me an email notification.
ElderTroll

Post by ElderTroll »

Thanks for all your work, weirdsexy! You've drawn a huge amount of attention to the work of the developers and probably helped convince some to join. Please do the release video for version 1.0. It would be a very fitting way to retire from the project seeing as you've done the videos since what, version 0.12? Hopefully a replacement is found for the next few release videos, but 1.0 should be you. Just my two cents. Good luck in your next adventure.
:)
lysol

Post by lysol »

ElderTroll wrote:Thanks for all your work, weirdsexy! You've drawn a huge amount of attention to the work of the developers and probably helped convince some to join. Please do the release video for version 1.0. It would be a very fitting way to retire from the project seeing as you've done the videos since what, version 0.12? Hopefully a replacement is found for the next few release videos, but 1.0 should be you. Just my two cents. Good luck in your next adventure.
+11111111111
WeirdSexy

Post by WeirdSexy »

ElderTroll wrote:Thanks for all your work, weirdsexy! You've drawn a huge amount of attention to the work of the developers and probably helped convince some to join. Please do the release video for version 1.0. It would be a very fitting way to retire from the project seeing as you've done the videos since what, version 0.12? Hopefully a replacement is found for the next few release videos, but 1.0 should be you. Just my two cents. Good luck in your next adventure.
Yes, wow. I didn't realize it but I guess I've been around since not long after the project really started to pick up speed. Gosh, time flies.

Anyway, yes. If we get a new video person, stay away from any sort of v1.0 release related video. I'll take care of that ;)
ezze

Post by ezze »

Can you describe briefly how you make the movie commentary? What programs do you use?
SquireNed

Post by SquireNed »

I don't really have a voice for it, but I can do a commentary since I've got video editing and a working mic/capture setup. I think I've quasi-resolved my FPS issues.
WeirdSexy

Post by WeirdSexy »

I would like to note: Once I know what to say, recording a voice over doesn't take me much time at all, really. I would totally be willing to read a script if someone were to write one and do the video work themselves, but doesn't want to do the voiceover.

The things that are time consuming are writing a script, planning the video, recording video, and editing video.

Anyway, my basic workflow has been this:
  • Requirements Gathering: figure out what needs to be shown in the video.
  • Write a script and have a basic plan for how to show each feature.
  • Record video clips for each part of the script. Keep these organized by some system that makes sense to you; makes editing easier. I use FRAPS on windows, but Bandicam is probably better. On linux, I like Simple Screen Recorder. I like to record with in-game music muted and add music back during video editing. Record with a 16:9 aspect ratio so it looks good on YouTube.
  • Revise the script based on whatever difficulties were encountered during video recording.
  • Record the voiceover. Follow standard vocal recording guidelines. I use a usb audio interface and Adobe Audition for recording. Audacity works as well. There are other FOSS options that would work, but I don't have experience with them. Be sure to apply liberal amounts of compression, noise reduction, etc. I generally output my voiceover to one long file and then import it and chop it up as necessary in my video editing application.
  • Edit the video with the application of your choice. Be sure to use appropriate video transitions between scenes (I like to fade to black between talking about completely separate features, for example). Make sure that the voiceover can be heard over background gameplay and music. I like to duck the volume of the background tracks and even apply a lowpass filter to them when I'm speaking. There are various processes for automating these kinds of effects.
    Anyway, I use Adobe Premiere Pro, but there's a bunch of video editing applications to choose from, both proprietary and open-source.
  • Export to something YouTube will eat and upload it! I generally do h.264 video @ 30fps with AAC audio.