Radiance\Life and Crime

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
DarkAnsem

Radiance\Life and Crime

Post by DarkAnsem »

Despite its moronic life, Skyrim did had a reaction system, and an ancounter system which could be expanded, also based on player actions. is something similar in the plans for OpenMW?

Has the Crime\Guard system been planeed for an overhaul too?
SquireNed

Re: Radiance\Life and Crime

Post by SquireNed »

I'm pretty sure it's possible to expand crime and law to be similar to Skyrim's regional one already without any scripting extensions as part of vanilla Morrowind mods. I think you can also do the same with NPC's and day/night cycles.

Now, the things that would be difficult are changing the AI to incorporate more variables and have more interaction with the environment, as Skyrim included in some places (such as assigning quests dynamically). To my knowledge, Morrowind doesn't have any of the stuff necessary for this, and it'd be a lot of overhaul for OpenMW. It might be a post-1.0 feature, but likely it'd be something that would be emulated but not reproduced.
DarkAnsem

Post by DarkAnsem »

why not reproduced? how difficult would it be to enhance AI?

Squire, can you go more in-depth about morrowind AI, including combat AI, if you know something about it? will it be the same as Oblivion, moronic rushing at the enemy hurling spells without any real strategy, or will it be possible to expand\improve upon it, making more "scripted" boss battles?
SquireNed

Post by SquireNed »

The way I understand it is that Radiance isn't necessarily anything to do with individual AI; we have a fair deal of that in Morrowind and while I believe that Oblivion's and Skyrims held a couple more values to do with certain behaviors, the general friend/foe and faction stuff is more ore less untouched. Radiance, however, includes a lot of world->ai stuff that would be difficult to replicate. For instance, there's no reference to X's house in Seyda Neen being a potential thieves' guild quest target with spawn points for the requisite loot.
DarkAnsem

Post by DarkAnsem »

in addition to that, it would require the World Interaction framework, I'm thinking...