Matt Grandstaff and Android Development

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Re: Matt Grandstaff and Android Development

Post by psi29a »

Helv wrote:@psi29a
You mean... you are lucius?
No... but I do help when and where I can on the Linux side.
raevol

Post by raevol »

psi29a wrote:No... but I do help when and where I can on the Linux side.
Source.... code.... :evil:
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

raevol wrote:
psi29a wrote:No... but I do help when and where I can on the Linux side.
Source.... code.... :evil:
His ball, his rules.
raevol

Post by raevol »

psi29a wrote:His ball, his rules.
I know I know, but it's frustrating. I think I've said it before, if he would have open sourced it, it'd probably already be done.
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

psi29a wrote:I'm not going to fault him since he was new to OpenMW. He did what anyone would coming from the atypical Morrowind Modding world, he just happened to do it and expected that we would know who he was. ;)
Except he's not just anyone. He's the Global Community Lead for Bethesda. It's his job to know better and to handle these situations in a professional manner. It's how he earns his crust.
HiPhish

Post by HiPhish »

raevol wrote:
psi29a wrote:His ball, his rules.
I know I know, but it's frustrating. I think I've said it before, if he would have open sourced it, it'd probably already be done.
Since he's basically disassembling the game from machine code there might be legal issues until he's cleaned out his own code from Daggerfall's original code. Or instead of writing a new engine in parallel he could instead document how Daggerfall works and then have other people work from that.
raevol

Post by raevol »

HiPhish wrote:Since he's basically disassembling the game from machine code
Ah I didn't realize he was doing that...
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

https://wiki.openmw.org/index.php?title=Bethesda_Emails

^-- Updated with the rest of the emails.

@Okulo: Would make a lovely weekly news item I think? Basically that Bethesda/Zenimax is _very_ cool with OpenMW, which is nothing to sneeze at considering Zenimax's reputation of being heavy handed.
ezze

Post by ezze »

I am quite lost, as far as I understood Bethesda contacted the android port author in a way that made him panic.
After few emails they understand there are simply no basis at all for any complain against openmw... what is cool in that?

They has simply to surrender that if they want to stop android users they have to hunt them one per one, not via OpenMW since it does not give or use any Bethesda copyrighted stuff at all.
Chris

Post by Chris »

ezze wrote:I am quite lost, as far as I understood Bethesda contacted the android port author in a way that made him panic.
After few emails they understand there are simply no basis at all for any complain against openmw... what is cool in that?
Bethesda was getting scared that too much attention was being put on the Android port, because they have legal concerns with their Morrowind assets being used on non-PC devices (exactly what those concerns are, we don't know). But after some emails, a middle ground was reached, so to speak, where we can continue with making OpenMW work on non-PC systems, and in return we won't showcase OpenMW using Morrowind content on non-PC systems.