Scene Toolbar Icon Request

Involved development of the OpenMW construction set.
Zini

Re: Scene Toolbar Icon Request

Post by Zini »

I see your pull request. Will deal with it later today.

I don't think there are that many icons missing (at least right now; more icon requests should be coming up within the next two weeks). Anyway, for icons that are not related to the scene toolbar, please make a new thread.
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

BlueFootedBooby wrote:Only other thing I can think of that gets the point across is, like, a tiny doom hand:
For a moment I thought that hand was holding a black sharpened stone...
Zini

Post by Zini »

Here comes the next batch of icon requests. This one is a bit more complicated.

I just added element visibility buttons to the scene toolbar. These switch rendering of individual elements (references, terrain, water, ...) on and off.
There is a total of only two new buttons: one for scene elements and one for control elements. When clicking on one of these, a panel pops up with a row of buttons, each representing a single element type, that can be toggled on or off.
The main button on the toolbar will either show a collection of the icons for the elements that are currently rendered or a special "nothing" icon, if nothing is rendered.

We have these elements (quoted from source):

Code: Select all

enum Elements
    {
        // elements that are part of the actual scene
        Element_Reference = 0x1,
        Element_Terrain = 0x2,
        Element_Water = 0x4,
        Element_Pathgrid = 0x8,
        Element_Fog = 0x10,

// control elements
        Element_CellMarker = 0x10000,
        Element_CellArrow = 0x20000,
        Element_CellBorder = 0x40000
    };
What we need now is the following:
- an icon for each element listed above (usual 48x48)
- a small version of the above that is used to compose the toolbar button icon (14x14)
- a "nothing" icon for the two toolbar buttons; preferably a separate icon for each of them

Note that most of the elements listed above aren't rendered yet (only exception being references).
crysthala

Post by crysthala »

Hmmm, tricky little blighters, these. (I don't know why I was suddenly British just then.) I've come up with a few icons that might be passable for the terrain, water, and pathgrid elements:
element_terrain.png
element_terrain.png (8.07 KiB) Viewed 6325 times
element_water.png
element_water.png (6.6 KiB) Viewed 6325 times
element_pathgrid.png
element_pathgrid.png (6.98 KiB) Viewed 6325 times
I've done another for fog, which is a difficult concept, and one I'm not sure is entirely clear:
element_fog.png
element_fog.png (6.94 KiB) Viewed 6325 times
The reference icon has stymied me so far. I'll keep thinking on it. Any suggestions?

As far as other icons go: I'm not sure what is meant by CellMarker, CellArrow, and CellBorder. CellBorder I assume will be some kind of grid showing the borders between exterior cells. CellMarker and CellArrow I'm not sure about; it makes me think of NorthMarkers, TempleMarkers, etc. in the vanilla CS, but I'm not positive you're referring to the same thing here.
Zini

Post by Zini »

I like the first two.

The 3rd is also okay, but I suggest to remove the rectangular grid.

Fog icon doesn't do it for me, but I don't have a better suggestion either.

References is basically a TES3 term for object, so maybe an icon that shows some random scene object (wall, house, tree or something). Should be as generic as possible.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

The fog icon could be something like this:

Alternatively, you could draw a regular cloud and put hands coming out of the top like a man is inside the cloud doing this: \o/ but you can't see his body; just a grey cloud with his hands coming out.
Zini

Post by Zini »

As far as other icons go: I'm not sure what is meant by CellMarker, CellArrow, and CellBorder. CellBorder I assume will be some kind of grid showing the borders between exterior cells. CellMarker and CellArrow I'm not sure about; it makes me think of NorthMarkers, TempleMarkers, etc. in the vanilla CS, but I'm not positive you're referring to the same thing here.
These elements have not been implemented yet and at this time we don't know exactly how they will look, which makes it harder to create icons for them, I guess.

CellMarker: Each cell has a marker (placed in the center of the cell) through which the whole cell can be manipulated from within the scene.
CellArrow: At the border between a cell that is included in a scene and a cell that is not included in the scene, an arrow-like marker will be rendered. Through these the user can manipulate which cells are included in the scene.
CellBorder: These will be markers that show the borders between the cells.
htograf

Post by htograf »

Hello, I've come up with a couple of icons. I'm probably going to work on the Cell icons after this.
I'd appreciate some feedback. :D
element_terrain.png
element_terrain.png (4.78 KiB) Viewed 6269 times
Terrain icon, using the same-ish colors as the Red Mountains in Vvardenfell.
specialnothing.png
specialnothing.png (2.19 KiB) Viewed 6269 times
Special "nothing" icon. Using the mathematical symbol that represents an "empty set," or in essence; nothing.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Could you please coordinate with crysthala? It doesn't make a lot of sense having two people working on the same icons.

Regarding your icons:

Terrain: Not bad, but inconsistent with the style currently in use in OpenCS.

Nothing: As mentioned in the original description ideally we would like to have two separate nothing icons (unless nobody can come up with a good metaphor for these; in which case we will use only one). Anyway, I doubt that the majority of people using OpenCS knows the symbol for an empty set.
crysthala

Post by crysthala »

Hello, htograf! The hardest part of doing icons for this project is making them consistent--you should definitely check out this post to see the kind of style the existing icons use, so the OpenCS doesn't end up with a bunch of bizarrely different kinds of icons. ;) Also, I don't really have any ideas on where to go for the cell controls icons, so any help with those is very welcome.

Zini, the pathgrid does look much better without the actual grid:
element_pathgrid.png
element_pathgrid.png (6.09 KiB) Viewed 6213 times
Fog 2.0. This one might work provided there are no controls related to clouds.
fog.png
fog.png (6.41 KiB) Viewed 6213 times
Since "reference" encompasses, in fact, every placeable world object, I thought I'd do a few different types of objects to make it clear that it's several object types, not just, you know, trees or building parts. If someone has a better idea for that, I'm all ears. The problem with this one is that all the objects are going to be prohibitively tiny at 14x14...
reference.png
reference.png (7.01 KiB) Viewed 6213 times
As far as the "nothing" icons go: Could we just use the same icon (or set of icons) as for the main button, but grayed out and with one of those "don't do that" symbols over it? I think that would make it pretty clear not only that nothing is visible, but also which set of controls is which, as you can still see the other icons.